Is a ten yr old too young to babysit a 1 yr old for an hour?

My ten yr old daughter is mature for her age. I'm trying to find time to work out and my gym is 5 minutes away from my house & i have a home phone so she can call my cell if anything is wrong. Is it ok to let my 10 yr old watch my 1 yr old for an hour while i workout? This would just be one day a week and the hour will include the workout time and travel time. Im not looking for bashers, just good advice. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maturity doesn't matter in many states. I know in Ohio the law is you can leave your child to babysit when YOU FEEL she is mature enough to do so. Depends on your state.
    Personally, I don't see a problem with it. If you are comfortable with it, and SHE is comfortable with it, then it should be ok.
    Ask her if she would be comfortable doing it. You don't want to do it if she's uncomfortable.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think legally she is to young. does not matter if she is mature enough.

Answer by louise2 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• too young imo - isnt there a gym with daycare available in your area?
    good luck, trying to find time to work out w/little ones is tough
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think 10 is too young. I have a 10 year old boy, mature for his age and I wouldn't even think about leaving him with his 6 year old brother for an hour, let alone a 1 year old...I have an 18 month old. You may think your 10 year old is mature for her age but if something were to happen she wouldn't have the instincts to know what to do. Accidents happen, so do kidnappers, child molesters, injuries, robberies...An hour is a long time for a 10 year old. Find someone else to sit with them or workout at home!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think that it is a bad idea. Go to the library and check out some exercise videos (maybe your daughter will be your workout buddy!!)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• IMO- yes she is too young.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think at 10 she is too young to stay home by herself let alone watch a one year old..Maybe in like two years when she is 12 and the baby is 3..Ask a neighbor to watch them or join the YMCA they have free babysitting for when you work out..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 10:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I would not have done it with my kids, but my oldest has ADHD. I think it is possible some 10 year olds might be up to the challenge, but I haven't met any I would trust my toddlers with; I only use adult babysitters the youngest babysitter I have ever used was 20). You know your kids best. Do you think your 10 yo could handle all possible emergencies that might come up? Do you think the risks are insignificant enough you are are willing to take the chance?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• 10 is to young to babysit. It is not till they are 12 or 13 that is when kids start babysitting. If you want to know the age they should start. Look it up on the internet and see what it says about the apportiate age.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. Would a 10 year old know what to do if the baby choked on something?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2010