How can I stop my almost 4 year old from ripping the plastic on the windows?

We put plastic over the windows in his bedroom for the winter, because it's the coldest room in the house. He's ripped it open 8 times now since Thanksgiving! I am almost out of tape and I've tried it all! I talked to him. I put him in the corner. I took toys away. I ignored it. I don't know what else to do! If I leave it, I'm afraid he'll get sick. I'm pretty sure it's for attention because he has a new 4 month old brother. He tells me he wants to play in his room, and obviously that's fine. But when I go check on him, I find the plastic ripped open and clothes stuffed in it! I'm pulling my hair out trying not to whoop his little behind lol! HELP! thanks ladies =]

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 11:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You should have put the plastic OUTSIDE the windows...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• We aren't allowed to do that. Our landlord won't let us. I don't know why, but then again, it's not MY place. But thanks for the advice, I guess.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• If playing in his room is something he values then take it away from him. Seriously. Let him know, in no uncertain terms that if he tears the plastic open he won't be allowed to play in there the rest of that day. Then follow through with it. If he enjoys getting to be back there playing then it probably won't take long for him to figure out that he is causing himself to lose that as an option. Remind him that it was his choices that led to that happening and that you want him to be able to play back there but he has to quit making that bad choice. Good Luck.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• How about wearing his tail out and telling him that is unacceptable behavior that will not be tolerated under any circumstances in your home?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:41 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Thanks Krysden. I'll try that. I'm not so sure if it'll work. Any other suggestions are definitely still welcome!
    NannyB. I'm trying NOT to spank him. It doesn't do anything anyway. He looks at me pouts for a minute then goes right back and does it again. It's no use.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:52 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• stop putting plastic on the windows. He or the new baby could choke on plastic that he has ripped from the window.

If the window is leaking cold air, your land lord is LEGALLY required to fix it.

In the mean time, I would put a blanket around the seal and tape it.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I agree with Krysden. Don't let him play in his room until he learns not to touch the plastic. Good luck!
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• twin_mommy --- Sometimes it has NOTHING to do with the seal. It can be the panes and the land lord is NOT required legally to fix it as long as the window is not broken.

After a fair amount of warnings, I would also spank him. He knows better... he has to know there are consequences for his actions.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2010