Baby Development

My baby is three weeks old and I was curious as to when he can see me? When do babies stop only seeing shadows?

Smash2021

Asked by Smash2021 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is by 6 weeks they are able to see what is about 6in in front of them. But im not 100% sure. Congrats on your baby!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:21 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• www.touchpoints.org

you may want to pick up a copy of the book at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 11:28 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• They can see clearly at birth from about 6-12 inches away from their face. By two weeks they already have your face memorized. As they get older, they can progressively see more clearly further away. My son was making goo goo eyes and smiling at the ceiling fan by 6 weeks...now he is all out cooing and almost giggling at it....can't get him to do that for me. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Newborns see more than shadows! They see color and shapes, but their distance vision is not developed so things are in focus close up. Makes sense since their whole world is mommy, mommy's face, and nipples.

My baby was returning smiles at four weeks and copying smiles before that. All babies have good close up vision so get right in their mugs to interact!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Thanks!
    Smash2021

Answer by Smash2021 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2010