Can Pharmacies fill half a perscription?

I am curious since my insurance is now carrying a 1000. deductable. I can't afford to pay full price for a months worth of mmy dd's name brand only medication. I was told by a friend that you can ask them to fill two weeks worth at a time.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 11:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Health

• It can't hurt to ask.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I would ask. I know when my pharmacy doesn't have a full prescription they give me part of it and ask me to come back for the rest, so I would think they would be able to help you with partial fills. You might also check to see if the pharmacy has any programs that might reduce the cost. I know at Walgreen's they have a program that offers reduced costs on lots of medications - they should be able to tell you if your daughter's prescription is on the plan. I think it costs $20 to join, but it could be worth it.
    Anonymous

• Check with the drug store, depending on what med it is. If you only fill half of it you might have to get a new RX for the other half. This just depends on the med. I know if I only get 1/2 of my sons script, I lose the other half.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2010