HELP!!! Baby on the way and 3 yr old son still not potty trained!

My son just turned 3 in Dec. and I have heard that boys take longer to potty train but how do you know when there ready? We tried the 3 day rule where he just wore underware and no diaper but he would pee and poop right in front of me and say peepee or poopoo as if it didnt bother him at all. I was taking him potty like every 45 min. and I guess when I would take him he didnt have to go and so thats why he went in his undies. He has gone potty several times and even pooped once on the potty but its only
on his terms. How do I get him to tell me befor he goes potty and not after? I dont even know if hes ready to potty train but he is 3 and it would be really nice to have him going potty on his own befor baby gets here. I really need help so any advice besides letting him sit in his pee or poop (thats neglect) would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks for reading.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Chances are that you toddler will regress after the baby arrives; you may want to wait until he is used to the new baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• as someone whos' DS wasn't potty trained till 3 1/2, all I can tell you is you can't MAKE him be potty trained, he has to want to be and be ready for it, as frustrating it is for you
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• No Im not frusterated this is just my first child and I figured he would be out of diapers by now expecially since he has shown that he can actually go potty on the toilet but just on his terms. I dont want to push even though it would be nice not to have two kids in diapers for several reasons but I want to make sure hes ready and Im having a hard time telling weather he is or not. If so I want to know how to go about this the right way if there is one.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• "but I want to make sure hes ready and Im having a hard time telling weather he is or not. If so I want to know how to go about this the right way if there is one."

If he was ready he would already be doing it. I would wait until after the baby comes, or chances are he will regress once the baby is born and all of your work will be for nothing.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I dont understand what you mean by regress? Are you saying that he will see the diapers on the baby and want to wear them again?
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Yes, it is a common thing with kids. They see all the attention the baby gets and then act like babies to get more attention.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Oh ok yeah hes already starting that lol like the whole pretending to whine thing he thinks its cute. But if he is potty trained befor that I wouldnt give into him just because the baby is wearing diapers he will just have to learn that hes becoming a big boy. Because if I did that then he will probably expect to have a bottle and binky and who knows what else lol.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Take control of the situation!! And the three day rule involves no underwear, they are supposed to be naked from waist down. If you want him potty trained then take the time to make him go to the potty, when he has no where else to go he will go there. 3 is plenty old to be potty trained.
    Anonymous

• well, i would wait bc i agree that he will probably regress, but if you want to try the 3 day thing i agree with anon. they don't get undies at all. make sure you keep the bathroom door open and the light on so he can go real easy. make it clear to him that if he has an accident he will be cleaning it up 100% and won't get to play until it's done good as new. don't punish or hollar at him if he has an accident, just remind him that he has to clean it up (and not half-assed). i potty trained my nephew like this at 3 1/2 and my son at 2 1/2. it worked great. also, with my son he wanted to learn how to go potty after the baby came bc he wanted to be big.... that was what made him special since there was another baby in the house. maybe try that too. gl
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2010