Where's the line?

Should employers be allowed to force their employees to skip breaks (since the economy is so bad they can't quit)? Should they be able to make them work while they're off the clock? Should they be allowed to cut hours in half without notice? Should they be allowed to require 12 hr days and only give the absolute minimum time off every 2 weeks as allowed by law, even if that means in reality employees only get 4 hrs of sleep per night? Should salary be an excuse to require 80 hr weeks, even though there's been a salary freeze for 2 years? Cancel vacation time? Should they be allowed to verbally abuse them? Physically? Emotionally?

At what point is it going too far before someone is "allowed" to quit their job "in this economy" without being fodder for the privileged who look down on anyone who isn't blessed with a good job right now?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• And for those who think any of those things are exaggeration, they've been common practice in the gaming industry for years - long before they could blame it on the economy.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Thanks for posting this. I'm interested to see how everyone assuming all job-quitters are out to abuse PA respond to this.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Um, no. Employers can be sued or even shut down for that type of treatment. When I was management at Wal-Mart... you are REQUIRED to take your scheduled breaks. If you are caught working off the clock - you ARE disciplined. You can even loose your job!! If you are treated like a slave rather than an employee... it is PERFECTLY FINE for you to walk away from that job! It is NOT okay for them to treat you like that... PERIOD.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I guess those of us who are lucky to have decent jobs really are lucky.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• as long as an employer follows the law, that's where the line is. anything that goes over or beyond it can be brought to court by the individual that feels victimized. every person in the U.S. has the right to take anyone to court and let the law decide what is to be done regarding the situations at hand.
    in right to work states, the laws can be vague or favor the employer, but still every person has the choice where they want to work for what salary and for how long. and if there is no pre-existing contract what can or cannot be done is not limited.choices choices choices
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• That was eye opening. I will be sure to read labels for the games I buy now and avoid buying any Rockstar games. If enough people boycott it will change how they run their company.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I'm not asking in legal terms, I'm asking where the condescending idiots from that other question draw the line, where they "give their permission" for someone to quit.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• If enough people boycott it will change how they run their company.

Sadly, no. Follow the link on there to EA Spouse. This isn't the first time, it won't be the last. The majority of their sales are outside the US, so even if everyone in the country boycotted, they'd still sell enough in Asia alone to stay afloat. Add to that the trend to push everyone into getting an IT degree, and they have hundreds of people lining up to fill the job openings they have every time someone does get fed up and quits.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

-------------------------------------
    I agree, it's nobody's business. Live and let live and MYOB
    This is an opinon based Q&A forum not a live debate on CSPAN
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Everyone at my husband's job is forced to skip breaks and lunches because they just don't have time : / It's a common common practice in restaurants, they did it at his last workplace too, and his brother was the kitchen manager there. It sucks, but he has job security there, plus there's going to make him a manager soon. Maybe one day he'll be able to get a job where he and his coworkers aren't treated like cattle.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2010