I think it's interesting the mom finally decided to abide by school rules with the long haired child in TX, how bout you?

I'll look for link...................

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 12:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You know, the school may have other things to worry about ... BUT... they KNEW the rules when enrolling him in the school. If the school wavers for this, then where is the line? What else will they be forced to waver on? Where is the defense for the school and policies??
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• who exactly are you talking about?
    Anonymous

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think it is silly that the school made such a fuss about hair. really... is that the only thing the school has to focus on?
    stacyfru

Answer by stacyfru at 12:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• That does not say they are complying. It actually says they are still refusing after the school tried to give them another option of braiding the boys hair.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• "The parents of a 4-year-old boy disciplined for having long hair have rejected a compromise from a Texas school board that agreed to adjust its grooming policy.

The impasse means pre-kindergartner Taylor Pugh will remain in in-school suspension, sitting alone with a teacher's aide in a library. He has been sequestered from classmates at Floyd Elementary School in Mesquite, a Dallas suburb, since late November."

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• When I was in elementary school, girls couldn't wear pants to school, female teachers couldn't wear pants to work. Nowadays we would think that's preposterous.

My boys have long hair. I live in an area where many of the boys in school have long hair. It does not affect their ability to learn, nor is it a distraction. The school rule is asinine, IMO.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• If they are willing to have him wear a ponytail, i would think that would be good enough, it IS out of his face now.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My son's school is a charter and the last two years required boys to have short hair. This year after going to a national charter school conference, they relaxed the policy because it is discrimination against boys. Their reasoning is that if they have restrictions on the boys hair then they would have to restrict the girls hair, which they don't want to do.
    I think it is unreasonable for the boys parents to continue pushing it. While I disagree with the policy, there are times in your life when you have to conform to the rules. My husband and his family are all long haired hippies, so I get the issue first hand. :p
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You'd think the school would accept a ponytail. That gets it off his collar/out of his eyes/above his ears.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2010