More perm. birth control after 2nd baby.

Hello. I am currently pregnant with my second, due in June. I already have a 22 month old and my husband and I have decided this is as many as we want for sure. We are pretty young, but are 100% sure two children are enough for us. I have been on different BC methods in the past, such as many different pills and the nuva ring, but would like to ask the opinion of others in similar situations what they decided to use? I am too young to get a tubal and my husband doesn't have healh insurrance to afford a ves. My family also has problems w. many differnt types of BC, including strokes and very serious infections resulting in surgery. This makes the decision so much harder! What would you do?

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 12:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• how about you dont use mirena but use paraguard same type of deal it's a iud can be left in for up to 10 years there are no hormones the only side effect is heavier periods for 2-3 months after so there will be no weight gain you can bf if you choose and you wont have to worry about it for the next 10 years! ... thats what im getting in a month or so it takes affect in 2 days after it's put in!
    Anonymous

• Have you considered Mirena? I've never had it, but have a friend that does and it sounds like a good long term solution. I was in the same boat as you after my 3rd was born - my dr wouldn't do a tubal b/c I was under 30 (and now I'm glad he didn't!) and my ex wouldn't get a vasectomy so we used the Pill, but it was a pain. I wish they'd had mirena back then!

Answer by missanc at 12:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I would suggest some type of IUD, Mirena has hormones and is good for up to 5 years, Paraguard has no hormones and is good for up to 10. Get one placed and you don't have to worry about it again! Talk to your OB about it, she should be able to tell you if you'd be a good candidate for one.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Vasectomies are about 500.00 I would talk to your doctor and see what he suggests but in the meantime save up for vasectomy. There is so many reasons for him to be "fixed" than you. Do research. I'm glad I did.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think Mirena would be your best bet. Not only is it good for 5 years, but it is removeable. My cousin ( who is 40 and has three kids) has one and said that the first six months are kind of a pain because your body is trying to get regulated again. Aside from bleeding the first three weeks and the having to deal with a foul discharge for a couple of weeks after that, she is glad that she did it. It sounds like something I might do as well (I am 32 and expecting #2). I don't want to have a tubal because I still want the option for #3, but I also don't want to have to bother with the pill or anything else on a regular basis.
    andreabwdn

Answer by andreabwdn at 2:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i agree w anon :27. i had mirena for 15 months, and i HATE it! it caused weight gain, severe mood swings, awful pain during ovulation and a bunch of other stuff. for some people it is great and for other slike me it is 100% horrible. there are also some class action suits against them right now too.

im looking into getting paragaurd after this baby. i will never get mirena again, and will never recomend it to anyone.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 9:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2010