My son is 18months, should I start potty trainning?

ACabrera

Asked by ACabrera at 12:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YES!
    Anonymous

• I think if he is showing signs. Like when he uses in his diaper he will tell you, he can keep a dry diaper for 2 hours. Little stuff like that. I started potty training mine at 15 months. He did it for a couple of weeks and was not interested. So, I gave him abreak and we are working on it now.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• YES! I can't believe babies these days aren't potty trained until they are over three, you know when I was a kid I was potty trained by age six months! 18 months is totally reasonable, in fact if you don't have him potty trained in the next two weeks you are not doing it right!
    Anonymous

• I would wait. I waited until my son was 3 and it took about a week. I started my daughter at about 18 months and it took FOREVER.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• ANON: OMG.. haha.. 6 months ... lol!!
    Anyway, we started potty training my son at 18 months and he totally refused every attempt and we tried it gung ho for a good 3 months til we decided to wait til he's more ready. He's just not interested. He turned 2 in Nov and just now started to show some signs
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Here is a link to read:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-readiness-checklist_4384.bc

I am not even going to comment any more then please read the link and make your own dission.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Don't listen to people that tell you they did it too early and it took forever. Most likely those are the parents that were NOT consistent, went back and forth to diapers and no diapers. If you decide to do it, do it and be consistent, they learn from you! Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• in my opinion, potty training isnt an age thing, more of a readiness thing. verbally telling you he is ready is a common sense sign to start, like if he knows what poo poo/pee pee is, can tell you yes/no if he has to go, or even the very obvious "have to go potty". but not all LO's are verbal enough to say so! If he constantly tugs at his diaper, puts his hands down the diaper or takes it off after he goes or when he is about to go, these are good signs, showing you he feels a discomfort and taking off the diaper can change that. if he knows what "time to change the diaper" means, thats also a good sign. Does he seem interested in the potty when you or SO goes? give it a try!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• "Don't listen to people that tell you they did it too early and it took forever. Most likely those are the parents that were NOT consistent, went back and forth to diapers and no diapers. If you decide to do it, do it and be consistent, they learn from you! Good Luck!"

Yes if you do it to early it can back fire on you. You can turn it into a negitive thing if you push a child that is truely not ready. . It in no way means the parent was not consistent. They just tried to early and the child was not ready. The child has to be truely ready to potty train.

So if you decide to try and it does not happen don't worry it just means the child was not ready at all.
    Anonymous

• Whatever you decide to do...just remember that once you start, there is no going back. You HAVE to see it through and be consistent. The real question is "are you ready?" Personally, I have a newborn and a 20 mo. old....so, no, I'm not ready. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2010