Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can he have the Gas and Electric shut off if it is in his name?

Asking about my brother again...
His wife kicked him out, won't let him see his kids and he doesn't have court till the 25th. Can he have the gas and electric shut off if it is in his name and she is not paying the bills? His kids are living with her. She is not only taking him for everything, she is trying to keep him out of his house, took both cars from him and until recently she had access to his bank account which she drained! She's the one who had an affair and ruined the relationship!


Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • She has the kids and he wants to cut off the gas and electricity to a home where his kids are living? That's wrong. It's a week until the 25th - tell him to suck it up and think about the kids.

    He needs to love his kids more than he hates his wife.

    Answer by missanc at 1:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • Yes if it is in his name and not hers. He has every right.

    Answer by Raeann11 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • Yes, he can. BUT it will be brought up in court and if he ever wants to get custody of the kids its going to look pretty bad that he shut heat off to his kids, even though his wives a bitch. If I was him I would tell her that she needs to switch it over to her name.

    Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • yes he can! and if I were him, I'd do it!
    let her get it turned back on in her own name so she has to pay the bills.

    that's all really sh!ty of her to do.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • He can, but it will not look good if he shuts off heat and power for his kids. I get that she's being a total bitch, and if it was just her, I'd say do it. But the kids are there (I assume) and they are more important than her and any petty crap that might be going on between them. (No, I'm not saying her having an affair is petty, I'm saying the cleaning out the bank account and stuff is.)

    Answer by tropicalmama at 12:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • If it is in his name he can just call and have it shut off, but if he does this it may look bad on him in court, because his kids are living there.

    Answer by robyann at 12:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • Yes. If the house is in his and her name he has every right to be there. If it is in his name only he can kick her out. He needs to find a really good attorney and document everything. He should go for full custody of the children she is not fit.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • disagree w/anon1145.

    op its in your brother's best interest if he wants his kids with him sometimes or always to be the 'better' parent and to not play revenge games like anon1145 offers up.

    No matter what happened with the parents the kids they decided to chance make and did make by being intimate those kids do not deserve to suffer.

    He should play the grownup and be compassionate and document his efforts of compassion. After all he does love his kids right? In a courts eyes a parent who loves their kids would not hurt physically or emotionally THEIR children.

    Answer by lfl at 1:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • No, his kids are living there. What kind of father would let his kids live in a cold and dark home? regardless of what is going on between him and mom. ITs not the kids fault, they shouldn't have to suffer. Now, he needs to call the police or something to get into his house and file for divorce if that is the route he wants to take.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • i'd have him send her a certified letter stating what day it would be shut off, that she has time to set up her own electric.

    Answer by angevil53 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2010