our kids are being tracked???

there is going to be a new curriculum at the jr high school.if anyone read my post yesterday it talks more about it.anywaymy dh went on the jr high web site and it says in order to put the kids in the right group they are being tracked...my dh is very upset with this and i dont know why?what does it mean to be tracking a child and why would my dh be so upset.i cant ask dh right now he is at a funeral for someone(a uncle of a worker)at work...i know what it means to track a person but im not sure about this...

cleo1977

Asked by cleo1977 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• it means they are tracking their grades and classes. What they need help in, what they are good at, etc.
    Anonymous

• As in tracking their scores to put them in the right curriculum? I would need to know more about it. To me it sounds like they are looking at scholastic's not actually "tracking" them as in having them followed or micro chipped.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• did you read this in a newspaper? Kids are tracked since kindergarten by grades earned and skills. Testing for special education can only be done by education court order after parent has refused plus refused negotiation. Plus parents have right to pay for testing themselves.

Are you anxious about special education classes for your child?
    Anonymous

• She never mentioned Special education, only a new curriculum. Special education programs are independent from the mainstream curriculum in schools, Kids are not put in special ed based on test scores and grades, it take a little more then that ,I think anon you might be confused.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• They have always "tracked" children's grades & test scores! How do you think a school earns its accreditation from the state? The district I went to high school in lost their accreditation a few yrs ago because the test scores on standardized tests in the district were so low. How does your husband think schools run away? Does he think someone just grades papers & doesnt record any of the information for reference?
    Anonymous

• Ok had to laugh...does he think they are stalking your kids? lol They are just following their grades & test scores and comparing them to other kids so they can adopt a curriculum that best suits the students individual needs! Its so your kids can get a better education!
    Anonymous

• thanks 3 ring. Not confused I have an iep special ed child. Special Ed kids ARE requested by school sometimes parents to be tested after one or both believe mainstream 'regular' classes are not helpful to certain kids. Thus, testing can be considered.

Tracking is done for kids who are not in mainstream classes and never special ed kids as well as for kids who end up mainstream.

op fear of the word tracking imply special ed or tracking by police authorities among other things.

She can choose to agree to special ed testing or disagree if that's what she means by tracking. Other moms too are confused by her word tracking - many education meanings fit tracking as a word.
    Anonymous

• Kid are constantly tracked whether they are special ed or gifted and every level in between. When your child is in a reading group in his or her own class room with other children at the same reading level they are tracked into that group based on their abilities. I don't know if tracking is always the best way to do things because I think once a child gets tracked into a certain level it is easy to leave them there rather than give them a chance to improve (for kids tracked into lower groups).
    leefraagh

Answer by leefraagh at 1:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• **I don't know if tracking is always the best way to do things because I think once a child gets tracked into a certain level it is easy to leave them there rather than give them a chance to improve (for kids tracked into lower groups)

It probably depends on the school, In our school children are evaluated twice per year and moved to the level they test at. My son who is on a IEP but not in special ed, has moved up levels during the course of the year, one year he was kept at the same level in one subject because he was testing right at grade level. Another year he was left at the same level in math because the grade school couldnt offer anything higher than where he was at.

I know testing is different in each state and county so thats why I say I think it really depends on where you go to school.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You track them based on grades and percentages. The county I work in gives a performance task at the end of every quarter on what they should have learned thus far. The scores are kept in a folder and put in their records. Teachers and county officials use the scores to track the progress of the student. They see whether or not the students is making progress and staying on grade level or falling. If they are falling then they keep track of that too. They track whether or not they are falling behind in everything or a certain subject. The data is used in meetings and professional developments to help teachers and administration with meeting the needs of students and making sure the curriculum is appropriate. If every 4th grader is failing a certain standard then they look at the standard to see if its grade or developmentally appropriate.
    Anonymous