eating out healthier

just had a baby and I'm trying to shed the baby weight. I would love to go out to eat but I don't know what healthy options are out there. Any thoughts?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 1:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Just like at home: no fried foods; lots of whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits

Answer by rkoloms at 1:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Look for specials at restaurants. Few restaurants are going to be as healthy as eating at home, but some are healthier than others. Applebee's has that new 550 menu where the whole meal is 550 calories or less (assuming that your drink isn't adding any additional calories) - I had the spicy shrimp diavolo the other day and it's really good! Also, just use common sense - avoid fried foods, ask for sauces and dressings on the side and go for veggies that aren't covered in butter or cheese. Try to include protein and carbs at each meal/snack - it will fill you up longer.
    Also - try to drink at least one full glass of water before your meal comes. When your meal gets there, immediately take 1/2 and put it in a to go box (save it for lunch the next day) before you even start eating.

Answer by missanc at 1:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My doc says a good trick is to split meals with your honey since they usually give you double portions.

Just don't reduce your food so much that it effects your milk production if your breast feeding.

Good luck.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 1:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• If somewhere you like doesn't have anything great on the menu get them to create a salad or something for you. Fill up on fruit before you go too so you don't overeat when u got out.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2010