Picky Eater...Loves Veggies and fruits but no meats

How can I get my son to try other meats? He will try some chicken but usually he wont eat anything but the veggies on his plate. Odd right? He will completely avoid any meat on his plate. Any suggestions? Of coarse he also loves pizza & chicken nuggets. And lately he has been on a breakfast thing waffles and lots of cereal. I dont mind the cereal because he usually wont drink milk, so this gets him his milk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try eggs, beans and spinach. Tofu even. He doesn't HAVE to eat meat. He can get the same things by eating other foods.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Not odd at all. My oldest never liked meat. She will eat chicken. Be happy he eats his veggies and fruits. My oldest also really like her fruits and veggies. Just find other food for protien. We do peanuts and potatos alot for that. I also want to try tofu. Don't push him to eat the meat. Some people don't like meat and it is not a bad thing at all.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My daughter is like this unless it is steak lol, next week it will be chicken. We call her the vegitarian lol even when i was pregnant with her the only thing i wanted was salads and fresh fruit and veggies it was nuts how healthy i ate with her. I have started doing several things, I make fruit smooties and add protein powder to them i dont do it every day only a few times a week my kids love them and i do too, she gets dairy which has protein and she loves tuna salad sandwhiches or just wheat crackers dipped in tuna.

My daughter does like turkey bacon BLT's, I really truly think it is the grease factor for her when it comes to meat. if your son only eats chicken nuggets find the best brand health wise out there then use it as meat in the spaghetti we use to do this allt he time kids loved it, make sandwhiches with them, get creative you can incorporate them into any meals if you need to.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• He may lead your family down a path to better health for all of you and the planet.
    I know that parents worry about nutrition when a child becomes vegetarian. Here are some great links:
    http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/teen_veg.pdf
    http://www.pcrm.org/news/release090402.html
    http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_infant_nutrition/complete_nutrition.html
    http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_infant_nutrition/index.html
    http://www.pcrm. org/health/ veginfo/vsk/ food_groups. html
    http://www.pcrm. org/health/ veginfo/vsk/ children. html
    I strongly recommend the book The China Study by T. Colin Campbell; it makes an excellent nutritional argument for vegetarianism. You should be able to find it at your local library.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Not odd at all...very normal. Try ham or canadian bacon...it is a naturally salty meat and a lot of toddlers like it. Try covering chicken in melted cheese...that works for my daughter. I recently got some "ready to eat" salmon from Chicken of the Sea and my daughter gobbled it up, so you might want to try that. Tuna and crackers is good too. Fish Sticks...Costco sells a kind called "The Ultimate Fish Stick" that is literally just breaded fish fillet and it is sooooo good. Eggs are good too. If you still can't get your toddler to eat much meat...don't worry too much about it. Two servings of milk and one of meat a day is more than enough protein for a toddler. (i.e. If yours won't drink milk, give a piece of cheese, a yogurt and a chicken nugget each day and they're good).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• He's a vegetarian~! Go with it! My Mother used to try to make me eat meat and I woud sit at the table long after everyone else had their dessert (NO FAIR) and when no one was looking I would feed my meat to the dog ..and only THEN after "I had eaten all my meat" was I allowed down from the table...I was punished and made to feel bad for my preferences. My Mother feels guilty to this day because I grew up to be a vegetarian. He needs protien and iron, that's for sure, but protien can be found in many non-meat sources...look it up online and honor his preferences Mama!
    Anonymous

• Try giving him something to dip in...sounds silly but my husband introduced "sauce" to my daughter when she quit eating her meat and now if you give her "sauce" (ketchup or anything like that) she will eat ANY meat you give her. I think it made her feel big because Daddy was always dipping his steak in something or whatever so now she can do it. Otherwise - just wait it out and get the best nutrition in him you can. Many toddlers survive on a bread and pasta diet and avoid the veggies and they're perfectly healthy...and others are like yours and eat veggies and no meats. It's just a growing experience. He'll be fine and will eventually start eating it again. Just keep offering it but don't force the issue.
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I thought him not eating meat was a total bad thing, but now I know more substitutes for the protein. I did not realize a lot of kids don't like meat. Or at least do not like it much. Thank you so much! You dont know how much this has helped me not worry so much!
    Anonymous

• My dd is 26 mos and has been the same way as your son since she first started solids! She will eat ANY fruit or veggie you give her but try to get her to eat meat and it's a no! I give her eggs instead and tell her she just has to try a bite. She eats spaghetti, chicken nuggets, pizza and she'll eat ham sandwhiches. I don't try to force meat because I figure she'll eat it eventually! Offer, but don't force him or it will become more of a game for him to refuse. I found a way to get my dd to eat chicken is telling her it's just like a chicken nugget (but she does spit it out later). Takes time, I read it's a part of them realizing their independence
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• don't worry about it! have you tried fish...beans? i was a nanny where the boy was a fish and rice eater, while the girl was a meat and potato eater.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2010