Do you get any kind of public assistance?

(in regards to the "90% are drug users" question) If you are on public assistance, have you been drug tested by the government? The ONLY way the "90% are on drugs" statement (or any percentage for that matter) could be true is if everyone on PA has been drug tested! So, have any of you been called in for a drug test?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• OP here: Again the questions was whether anyone of you that receive it not "would you" or "do you think they should"! Seeing as the answer to the real question seems to be an over-all NO, I fathom to guess there's no way any statistic that claims 90% of people on PA do drugs could be correct.
    Anonymous

• I get food stamps and medicaid, and no I have never been drug tested. They are free to test me anytime though because the worst drug I do is coffee!
    Anonymous

• We get free lunchs through my DD school because of our income. No we have not been called for drug test but if they did. What ever I don't have to worry because we don't do drugs.
    Anonymous

• I get Pell grants and never tested (but I don't use). I'm going to hazard a guess that the vast majority of my middle aged, blue collar, recently laid off classmates who are also getting pell grants (and unemployment, COBRA and the occasional food stamps) also aren't using. They're too busy trying to keep their utilities and internet on to get through school.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I'm not on PA and while I don't think everyone on PA are drug users, I personally know several. I wish they would test and take benefits away from those that fail a drug test.

Answer by missanc at 1:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• OP here: The question is: As a recipient of PA, have you been drug tested? NOT do you think they should be drug testing...
    Anonymous

• What is PA encompassing in these questions? I'm curious. We don't qualify for food stamps or cash assistance and the only reason I get medicaid and WIC is because I'm preggo. As soon as I have this baby I'm sure medicaid will drop me, just like when I had my first son.
    Anyway, I was never drug tested, not even when I DID qualify for food stamps (which, btw, was only during my maternity leave).
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 1:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• What is PA encompassing in these questions?

Typically it encompasses anything that enforces the stereotype that everyone on PA is a deadbeat. If it leaves any leeway for exception, people like to exclude it because it proves them wrong.
    Anonymous

• I get Link Card and Medical Card. Never been drug tested but I could pass it if they were to decide to.I personally know 3 people who get assistance and couldn't pass a drug test, but that's not my problem. It's a sad part of life.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• We get WIC for our daughter and she and I have Medicaid.

I do not do drugs and I have never been called in for a test.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2010