4 yr old get in-house suspension for having long hair! Is that really necessary?

I was a teacher and remember having kids suspended for having a history of fighting, defacing school property, etc. Anything that had to do with behavior or bringing inappropriate things to school (alcohol or weed) but as far as having long hair??? Please! What is this the 1900's when Native Americans were forced to cut their hair in order to assimilate?? What does everyone else think?

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's total bullsh@t. I would take my kid to a new school if that happened to him.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 1:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Well it depends I would have to read the entire story to comment properly. Here is my opinion with limited knowledge, three of my older brothers and I went to a private Catholic school from grade school on through high school. It stated in the handbook that students were to have naturally occurring hair color (no pinks,greens, blues, etc.), male students were to be clean shaven (unless growing facial hair for a musical) and if they were not they would be given a razor to shave with at school, female students were allowed to wear only light makeup, male students were to have hair that did not surpass the middle of their neck (again unless growing out hair for a musical), the handbook even actually states all students must wear proper undergarments and will be sent home if found in violation.

After that long spiel if the child was in a similar school the mother knew the rules and the school did nothing wrong.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Unless he whipped someone in the eyeball with it and intentionally caused someone bodily harm, there IS NO JUSTIFICATION for this!
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 2:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• gender discrimination. or do they also make all the girls have short hair?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• No. This will probably go on his record too! It is pissing me off more and more that I think about it.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• This is a public school! You're right kfroz, it was part of their district policy, but don't you think it's outdated. So mom sent him to school with a ponytail. But seriously, he was sat separately from the other kids because he had long hair???
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• They signed a copy of the rules when they registered him. They knew the rules and chose not to follow them.

Besides, have you seen this kid? He can't even see for all the hair in his little face!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My son has sensory issues and freaks when you cut his hair...I's completely freak out and change schools!!!!
    cindie83099

Answer by cindie83099 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

_____
    Exactly, what kind of example are you showing your kid by assisting in him breaking rules? This is how kids are being raised... Oh you break a rule? File a law suit. You break a rule or law you have consequences when will people realize this? You DO NOT sign an agreement for a dress code if you 1. Don't read it. & 2. Don't intend on following it.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Seriously, WHO READS THE PARENT HANDBOOK COVER TO COVER??? It's a booklet with small print. NO ONE!! And it's not because of ignorance, it's cuz you get it at the beginning of the year with a lot of other forms to sign (emergency card, library rules, discipline policy, uniform policy, sept calendar of activities, lunch calendar, etc, etc, etc)

The rule is stupid and I would welcome the opportunity to teach my child that rules like that should NOT be followed!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:22 AM on Jan. 13, 2010