would you have gone to the ER?

One night last week, my 4 year old had a fever of 104.5 and was hallucinating a little...seeing bugs, snakes, dogs. Dh and I were obviously concerned. I called the ped's after hours line and spoke with a nurse, she paged ds's doctor and the doctor called us back. At this point it was about 1 AM. The doc said kids sometimes do hallucinate with a high fever and she would see him in the office in the morning. She said if the fever got up to 105 to take him to the ER.
It didn't get that high, meds brought it down to 102. We brought him in to the ped's in the morning, she found nothing wrong, and he was 99.5 without meds then.
Some of my friends couldn't believe we didn't rush him to the ER...we got a lot of "at 103, I'd have taken my kid in"...what would you have done? Gone to the ER or trusted your ped? We have a great ped that he's seen for his whole life and have no reason to doubt her...but our friends made me feel awful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• If the med brought it down, there was no reason to go.
    Anonymous

• I would have kept my child home. Unless I suspected strep, or another bacterial infection, I would have stayed away from the germy doctor's office.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• In these types of situations, after getting your Dr.'s opinion, you have to trust your own instincts, too. Your friends would have probably taken their kids to the ER, and in this situation it would have been pointless, wouldn't it?
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 1:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't have. Fevers can last 3 to 5 days going up and down.
    Anonymous

• I would have gone to the ER. I personally feel that 104.5 is too high for a child. I would have wanted someone to look at my child with the fever to find a cause.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 1:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You did the right thing. Kids can stand MUCH higher fevers than adults. The meds worked and brought it down.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Your child, your decision. If you trust your child's dr and you don't feel like it's a life threatening situation then your friends shouldn't make you feel bad about it, after all it sounds like you were keeping a pretty close eye on everything and your LO turned out to be ok.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 1:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Hm, the hallucintions would have scared me but not the temp. I won't take DD in unless it's about 105 or not coming down regularly.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I would have gone to the er. But my son is also my first and he is 7 months old. And i dont trust the doctors at the hospital here. When i was pregnant and went into labor i called and told them that i was having contractions every 3 min or so. And they told me to wait. Well i didnt. I went in and i had to be transported to another hospital. And i am glad that i didnt wait because if i did i would have died from internal bleeding from a placental abruption.
    Anonymous

• nope it would have probably been more dangerous to take the kid to the er were germs are all over the place that could make him worse. Then again I don't give a fever reducer till the fever hit 102 anyway. Fevers are good except when they get really high or out of control.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2010