Now I am confused...I was always taught that God is the ONLY one that makes the choice of who gets into heaven

I know Jesus left instructions on how we should live, but did I miss the part of the bible that has a list of those who go to heaven?

I hear Christians talk all the time about how we should live our lives and what should happen for us to get into heaven but I don't really hear too much about this person goes to hell and this person doesn't. When did this new idea come about that anyone but God knows who is going to hell?

saying how to get to heaven is not the same as saying you are going to hell

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• God is the only one who makes the choice, but He told us very clearly all throughout the Bible and the public ministry of Jesus Christ!!! So yes. I know that I am going to heaven. I don't know for sure who else is. I do know that they need to have faith in Jesus Christ as the Messiah, God in the flesh. They need to confess they are a sinner, ask for forgiveness, repent, and have a relationship with God. The good news is that we don't just try and live good lives and hope some God out there will let us in.

God give His children His Holy Spirit to live inside of us as a guarantee, an assurance of salvation when we enter into that relationship with Him. You should read the book of John. It will really help you understand this relationship and God's plan for salvation. Love God with all your heart, mind, soul and love your neighbor as yourself.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Catholics will often say someone is in Heaven because its our hope and belief. However, we never say that someone won't go to Heaven or was sent to Hell because only God can judge and we don't know only God does.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It is our hope that they are in Heaven but we can't know for sure because only God judges and knows whats in a persons heart. We will refer to people in Heaven but not say that anyone didn't go to Heaven because we can't judge only God can. 

Canonizing a Saint is a process of recognizing someone for of their good deeds on Earth but they are judged by God.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Then what about when the Catholic Church says to pray to the saints in heaven? What about when the Pope has a saint canonized?

what about it?
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 3:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• We don't pray to saints we ask saints to pray with us.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• No one knows who will go where except God.
    If you truely accept Christ in your heart you will go to heaven no matter what because we are all sinners. No one is perfect. You dont know what is going on with someone else in their heart and soul. They could be much closer to Jesus than you without you knowing it because many people ignore their own sin.
    I dont pray to the saints. I feel that only Jesus and The Father can hear me.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• We pray for saints to pray for us. We are all praying to God.

I find inspiration in the lives of saints, they lived and sometimes died to be of service to God. I can't say with out a doubt that anyone of them is in Heaven because only God knows what was in their hearts but these were selfless people who lived a life of service. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• In the church we often say someone is in Heaven but we never say who isn't going to Heaven. We believe the way to Heaven is through Jesus Christ but because you don't know what is in someone else's heart it is up to God to judge that person not us.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• pray means to ask, we ask the saints to pray for us.

Google it
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Only God can see the hearts of men and women....only God can judge who belongs in Heaven and who belongs in hell.
    Anonymous