Welfare upsets people, yet you never hear people complain about our taxes going to prisons?

Why does it seem to bother people so much that their tax dollars are getting children fed and vaccinated yet they don't seem to care that taxes go to prisons, too. I always hear about how your taxes go to poor parents with no morals. What about the fact you're paying for criminals to eat, have a roof over their heads and get educated? Prisons have gyms and libraries that we pay for. They have food, heat and usually TV's. Doesn't it bother you that people say babies can go hungry but no one mentions free meals and room and board for a lifetime for people who do despicable acts? Besides, say they did abolish welfare. Would the government stop taking your taxes? I don't think so.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh I hear complaints about it all the time, my DH is a correctional officer TRUST ME I HEAR IT! But I agree that many people dont realize how much the prisoners get, not the employees they prisoners. The employees get pay freezes, and holds put on their benefits, while the prisoners get dvd players game boys and movie nigts.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Ugh, makes me sick. I'd rather babies be helped and struggling families get my money than prisoners. Shows how screwed up priorities are here. And how many people have a selfish BUT IT'S MINE! attitude. Condemn families but forget criminals. Sad.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I complain about it, especially now that the prisons have been privatized, which has led to higher sentences.

If we had public hangings, we would have less prisoners.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• GOOD POINT~! I love you for posting this! :) ♥
    Anonymous

• I totally agree with GothicMommy3!

I also don't want the rapist murderer to have all the weight equipment so they can be even stronger when they get out and just hurt more people easier
    Anonymous

• People who complain the loudest about "their tax dollars" going to welfare dont even know realistically how much of their actually taxes go towards PA! Its a tiny fraction compared to what goes towards road, schools, farm subsidies, prisons, defense etc.
    Anonymous

• rkoloms do you mean privatized as in the prisons that are run by contracted companies? We are a state run prison and the only thing making our sentances longer are the measures that keep getting passed on ballots. A death sentenance just doesnt mean what it used to.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• People who complain the loudest about "their tax dollars" going to welfare

Or else they're on welfare and trying to deflect any suspicion by yelling as loud as they can against it.
    Anonymous

• Did you know that the Salvation Army gives gifts to prisoners at Christmas?? I just found that out just before Christmas and didn't donate like I usually do every year. I gave my money to a charity that I KNEW would benefit people who really needed it.

Prisoners seriously have it better than some people who definitely deserve better than what they have and it sucks!
    Anonymous

• What good will it do? There will always be prisoners & welfare bums, why kick the dead horse?
    Anonymous