OMG

I need help ladies, Im 14 month old daughter has had diarrah for the last couple of days and Its smells of course anyway, I called her pediatrician and the nurse advice me to let it run its course the chance are that its due to her molars comming in. Shes not sick she doesnt act sick she eats like anyother day. Im just wondering if any of you have had this happend and been told is because of the teething.

Mami2Cami

Asked by Mami2Cami at 2:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What has she been eating?
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• oh yeah, lots of diarrhea while teething. all that excess drool and mucus getting in their tummy. Just make sure she gets her fluids.
    Anonymous

• she eats fruits, rice veggies nothing on the heavy side im trying to keep her away from anything sweet
    Mami2Cami

Answer by Mami2Cami at 2:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• my son would throw up while teething because of the extra drool and mucus - and he always got a fever, I don't care which doctor says thats not related.. it happened with every tooth and yes, diarreha. I've heard that a lot too!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Give her more foods with iron. That will make it so she isnt all runny.
    Anonymous

• Try giving her the brat diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. I agree with the iron rich foods. Also, include more calcium!
    Anonymous

• Banana's could help stop her up a little bit, or cheese
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Teething most likely does not cause diarrhea in toddlers. Maybe babies because of extra saliva. A toddler is large enough that some extra saliva isn't going to cause diarrhea.

I agree food can be a problem. Juice can be a problem - apple, fruit punch, prune (who gives their kid prune juice?). Most kids get constipated with drinking milk but people with lactose intollerance can get diarrhea. Kids don't need to drink milk at all. While she is having diarrhea it would be a good idea to stop juice, milk, and food that has a lot of milk in it.

It could be some kind of germ and will just take some time to get over. The BRAT diet is no longer recommended for sick kids. Their diet doesn't have to be that restricted. It does make sense to not give anything you think might give diarrhea. Be careful about too much sugar or corn syrup.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Gailll is WRONG. About everything.

Yes, toddlers CAN and WILL get diarrhea from teething, especially if you notice them drooling more, the same thing happens with my DD, and she is almost 18 months. The BRAT diet IS still recommended,and you SHOULD use it. Make sure you're not giving her ANY juice or anything that contributes to the runs.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Yeah the nurse advice me about juice. and she is not big on sugary stuff
    Mami2Cami

Answer by Mami2Cami at 2:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2010