2 and a half year old toddler twin will Not sleep without dad holding her. When she goes down in the crib eventually, will wake up calling for him and end up sleeping the couch with dad on floor. We will not use ferber method. Any suggestions to break the habit???

Child used to sleep thru night until 2 months ago. Nothing unusual has happened in that time frame. Dad can't let her cry hysterically and can't seem to calm her down until it's under her control. She does not want mom to put her to bed.

twotired

Asked by twotired at 2:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One thing I do for my kids when they want me to stay with them or are scared at bed time is let them sleep in a mommy/daddy hug. I have a sweater that I always wear and will put it on them and wrap the arms around them and tuck them under them. The love it. My son who is now 5 will often take my sweater and put it in his bed, when I asked him the other day when I could have it back he told me in 5 weeks, lol
    So maybe something that smells like her daddy will be comforting enough for her. Hope you find something that works!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• The ONLY thing that will work unfortunately be the ferber method. She has to learn to soothe herself again.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 3:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• maybe it is time to switch to a big girl bed so Daddy can lay with her until she is asleep and then sneak out?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• self soothing is a good thing for children. the first few nights will break your heart, but the more you give in to her demands, she will think she owns you... she will know when she cries she gets her way. very bad road to take trust me took that road and paid dearly.. i finally let her cry it out and in a matter of two nights she was sleeping on her own
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 7:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2010