Do you think we should go back to public punishments?

ie public hanging, other means of public execution. an answer on another Q got me to thinking about this. Do u think it would lower crime rates if people knew that might happen to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I do believe that rapists, child molesters and murderers should be publicly punished via hanging or firing squad. It would also save tons of money.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• The death penalty has not been a deterent to crime so far. In fact states that actively use the death penalty have the highest murder rates. I think if we are going to be as vile as the criminals and excute they should be done live on TV so those who cry out for blood have to face the consequences of that.
    Anonymous

• No. And it would not stop criminals from committing crimes that would deserve the death penalty. Murder,etc. is done by crazy people who think they are justified or think they can get away with it. They would just keep on committing crimes. It is not a deterrant. I would not watch, either. Never. Did anyone see "The Green Mile"...people would sit and watch them being electrocuted. That was sick. Really sick. Public executions are regressing way back in time when there were more ignorant.savage people.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Might make people think twice!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 3:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• No. Good lord.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• In countries with stricter punishments (public caning anyone?) the crime rate is lower.
    I do think that if we had stricter punishments with designations for what punishment goes with what crime, our crime rates would be lower. I do think people would think twice if they believed they were going to be beaten 30 times with a cane rather than get sentenced to 90 days in jail with the option for parole in 30 days.
    Anonymous

• In fact states that actively use the death penalty have the highest murder rates.

^^^This is a myth.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/state_by_state

The death penalty should not have to serve as a determent.  It is meant to serve as a punishment.

I don't know that I would want them public.  I wouldn't pack a picnic and go watch one.  I do think they should be carried out much faster.  I am also for the return to hanging or the electric chair for executions.  I do not believe those that chose no mercy for their victims should be offered mercy for themselves.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think all murderers should die. Why waste money on rehabilitating them in prisons. That would eliminate alot of people in prison. The rapist should be raped so they can see how it feels and the robbers should sit in a room with a toilet and a blanket so they can see how it feels to have everything taken from them.
    Anonymous

• Thats a good article special. But you do realize the preson who stated that will not read it and just continue promoting the myth.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Yup Carpy I do! Oh, and thank you!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2010