How old do you have to be to get your tubes tied in texas?

Im 21 and going to have my second child this summer, and me and my husband dont want anymore kids, but I was wondering if there is a certain age you have to be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Health

• I would say as long as you are an adult you can do it whenever you want.
    Anonymous

• 21 nation wide... most surgeons will not touch you until you are 25 or have 3 kids. whichever comes first. its to cover their arse... HOWEVER. before you even THINK about it, you should read about PTLS and the real life affects that it can and will have on you.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I'm no legal expert, but if you are of "legal" age so you can sign the consent form you can have it done.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• don't know where I am from you have to be 25 or have 3 kids whichever comes first
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• There are so many things that can happen that 21 is a young age to make such a big decision unless something like horrible genetic diseases are involved. There are effective birth control methods available like an IUD.

If anyone has surgery it is better for the man to do it. It's an easier surgery. It is more easily repaired if so desired in the future. If you want more children in the future you can still carry a child by artificial insemination maybe even from your husband as fetility treatments improve.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You also need to check with the hospital. Here in WI my cousin had 2 kids at 19 and didn't want any more. The hospital wouldn't let her even though her kids were only 21 months aparrt. The reason was the hospital was Catholic so no matter what she couldn't get fixed. Now she has 4 kids and she still can't get her tubes tied b/c of her insurance.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 2:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think it also depends on the specific dr and whether or not they are willing to perform one at such a young age
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• A vasectomy is a simpler, less intrusive, less expensive surgery, with a shorter recovery time.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It depends on the doctor. They each have their own rules. I had to go through like 3 doctors before I got one who would do Essure (alternative to a tubal and isn't surgery, I suggest you look into it) on me and I was 21 with 2 kids when I got it done.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2010