Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about an injury on an older man

Has anyone known an elder adult who has dislocated their elbow before?

How did they heal?
My husband grandfather fell yesterday and he landed some how that it dislocated his elbow. He is in a cast and he cant do anything.
HE wasnt great at walking before it but it seems to be throwing him off even more now. Sadly he cant feed himself or anything. It was his right arm and he is right handed.
He is 85 years old.


Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 6 (122 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • I am an Occupational Therapist working with the elderly. Is he is rehab? Is he getting home health. He should qualify for physical and occupational therapy. Have him call his doctor.

    Answer by jthor at 9:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • His age alone is an indicator that healing may be slower. He needs someone there daily to help him with activities of daily living. and to supervise an excellent diet. After he is healed he will likely need physical therapy. The grandfather may very well resist any or all of these steps and that is their right. Lots of love a patience and no high pressure. Does he live at home or in a facility either assissted living of otherwise?
    Did the Dr say anything about surgery? When I dislocated mine in June I required surgery to correct. If he needed surgery but has medical issues that makes surgery unsafe for him that is an entirely different scenario.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • My husbands mother and her new husband live with him. Sadly he fell on their watch. No they didnt say anythign about surgery. They knocked him out with what they called the " micheal jackson" drug LOL, he was out for only 2 mins in that time they popped it back and started casting it.

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • IDK if he is in rehab now but I do know they said he would have to be,.

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2010