Simplistic view on health care?!

Okay i know this sounds overly simple..and maybe wouldnt work...but why can we not just expand medicaid on a sliding scale and base it on income with caps and such. That way for people who are too broke to avoid healthcare like MYSELF dont have to worry about it, and those inbetween will qualify for care with minimal out of pocket expense?! Would that not solve a world of problems? Im not saying that its that there wouldnt be rules and limits and such..but basic health care solution....expand what low income is using and have more people put money toward that? ESP those who could afford a small amount..i would be willing to try to pay into that instead of looking for my SO coverage for almost 2oo a month!? I dont know Just a thought!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You are entirely correct that this would be a workable way to cover all those "47 million uninsured" people which the health care bill advocates are insisting NEED coverage immediately ... it is a "Crisis" and the healthe care reform MUST be passed immediately

(even though nobody will get covered until 2014 - so how does this address the crisis??)

But if one reads the health care bill, most of it is devoted to giving gov't departments and new bureaucracies new powers to tax and levy fees, fines and penalties ... so the bill is actually about new and inventive ways to collect more money.

It also makes a legal promise that the gov't will foot the bill (that means the TAXPAYERS will, since the gov't has NO money of its own !) for millions and billions and trillions of $$. This aspect threatens the American economy with bankruptcy.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I have thought this would be a smart way of doing it also. My son is on Medicare with a premium of $34 a month based on our income but we make too much to cover my husband and I so we go without. I took a $19,000 pay cut this last year and the first thing to go was the insurance for $650 a month because it made the biggest impact. if I could get insurance for $200 a month I would pay for it.
    Anonymous

• I agree, i get Medicaid for myself and my son, but my SO doesnt, his healthcare alone would BREAK him...and he really needs it...i wish they would make changes to the system!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i, too, want changes like this. something where if two people make a little over minimum wage they could cover the family for 50-100 bucks a month without co-pays or even with co-pays! it would make me much happier. i guess we all just have to sit and wait for the health care bill to be done to see if anyone gets that too.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Since when does the government do anything simple? If you read any of the bills proposed, they are all filled with oversight committees and agendas, programs, models, and all sorts of crap that has nothing at all to do with health care.  In none of these bills do they actually know for sure WHAT will be covered, WHO will be covered, HOW much it will cost per person, WHEN exactly will it start, WHAT it will cost overall, or any of the truly important things. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• unfortunately, this bill is less and less about healthcare, really. this government is crazy!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Congress would never approve something like that because it actually makes sense and would work. They are only interested in big government and control. They would lose a lot of their control that way. That is what Colorado does for children. CHP+. Our out of pocket fees are based on our income. Why couldn't they just expand that to adults as well?
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Our current administration is more about paying off political favors and feeding lobbyists. If health care gets passed, it will in no way be substainable, nor will it help the uninsured.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 6:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• The h/c disaster is NOT about h/c for all, it is ALL about the gov't taking control of us ALL and forcing us to take what they give us...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2010