How do you dicipline a 19 month old?

I don't really know how to get my DD to understand that she can't throw toys, or steal toys from friends...just everyday things. I normally tell her "No" and now she walks around yelling "No". She is starting to throw tantrums at the littlest things, is there a way to correct it, or is it just the age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is the age but you do need to teach her she cannot throw toys or take them from other kids. My 18 month old loses that toy if she throws it. If she takes a toy from another child I take it from her and give it back to the child. If she gets upset and tries to take it again she is put in her naughty corner for a minute. I really don't say no that often doesn't seem to work she suffers the consequences of her actions more. She is improving leaps and bounds. We also make sure to praise her when she is being well behaved she loves that and seems to strive to get that attention rather than the negative attention.

Watch out for Gaill she will tell you to never discipline and that you are a bad mom just a warning.
    Anonymous

• First and foremost, be consistent.

What worked for us was a minute or two in the sad chair (time out); you may need to do this 20 times a day...

Answer by rkoloms at 3:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My daughter is 16 months old and we have effectivey disciplined her. She gets time outs. When she doesnt listen once we will firmly say no and tell her why ("Please don't hit Daddy, it hurts him. Ow!") then if she doesnt listen we warn her ("You will go in your bed if you keep hitting, Mommy said no hitting") and then if she still does it I will actually put her in time out in her bed which she cant get out of.

At this age if she is in there for more than 5 minutes she wont rememeber what she did. Leave her in there for a few minutes and then take her out saying "Now remember we do not hit (or whatever she did)"

You have to always do it when you say you will and never apologize like you made a mistake.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Part of it is the age - - but there are ways to discipline (teach) that will help a ton. I use positive discipline with my kids - they get TONS of praise for doing the right thing; when they make a mistake, I calmly and quietly tell them "no thank you, we . . . . "(we use gentle touches, we share our toys, we listen to mommy's words. . . .). I try to only use "we don't. . . " for the big things, and only after I've I've explained the behavior I want to see. I would rather teach my kids the right way to behave than be constantly punishing them for the wrong way. It takes time, but it is very effective if you are consistent.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i will verbally correct my 18 month old once (like, no we are gentle with the kitty, or no, we don't bite) , and if he continues he gets a 1 minute time out. it works well for us.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I don't use the word 'no'. I say "No Thank You". That way they aren't associating 'no' with the negative necessarily.
    But I also will issue one warning - we do NOT hit, or we have to share. If that doesn't work, I will place in a time out for 1 minute per year of age.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 3:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Never use a child's bed or room as prison; it should be a happy haven.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010