what age should u give yo kids gum

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well, you don't have to give them gum, so I don't quite follow the "should" part of the question.

my kids are 3 & 4 and they occasionally get gum as a treat. It doesn't last too long with them and of course they swallow it LOL
    Anonymous

• Some kids are ready to understand the concept of chewing not swallowing at 18 months. My kid was one of these. Alot of kids take longer to grasp it. Start with a tiny piece, emphasize chewing and keep telling them, chew, don't swallow. If they don't get it, try again later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i don't really feel they need it...my kids are almost 6, 4 and 2 and they've never had any...well, my 4 yr old did try some that we made during her science class at the museum
    Anonymous

• You should never give your kids gum.
    Anonymous

• My 18 month old can chew gum. My mom let him try a tiny piece and I was shocked when he got the concept lol.
    Anonymous

• Sugarfree gun is perfectly fine for children. Geeze. I guess your kid isn't allowed to trick or treat either. You can brush their teeth right after as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• my daughter is three and has been chewing gum for a long time.. she gets shes not supposed to swallow it. as long as they dnt swallow it i think its fine wenever.
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 3:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Not before 3 I"d say, they don't understand how not to swallow it, or even to keep it in their mouth.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 4:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• The only time I give gum is on the air plane. I think gum chewing is atrocious behavior and I can never understand anyone that talks with in their mouth.
    Anonymous