Animal Shelter Adoption Fees....

We've been thinking about getting a dog since we're moving into a house this week. My first thought was to look in the classifieds, but I thought about adopting one from a shelter bc I always feel so sorry for them and want to take all of them home with me. Well while looking online, I looked at the pet adoption fees and freaked out! This is what one place has on their website for prices "$200 to $550 for our small breed dogs. Most adults, 2 years or older, are $250 - $350. Pups younger than 2 years old are usually $300-$550. The adoption donation for our medium and large breed puppies and dogs is between $110-$350"
It made me so sad bc I know alot of those animals wont get adopted out bc most ppl think "I can spend that and get a puppy (maybe even purebred or with papers)". I know they need money to run the place and get vaccinations/spayed/neuturing/etc but I kind of thought those prices were outrageous. What do you think?

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Pets

• that's outrageous!
    the fee at the pet store, for their rescued pets (super pets? I think was the store, they had rescued cats and dogs anyways) was $75 for females and $45 for males because they include shots and spay or neuter.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I have thought the same thing as you. It's so sad.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 3:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• WOW we always get shelter fur babies and I have never paid over 65.00
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• sounds extememly high to me! We got a dog a few years ago and ended up paying about $100 and that included shots.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 4:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• That sounds like a purebred rescue to me. Most shelters do not charge quite that much. It would not bother me to pay it though if i had found the right dog for our family. I have resecued many animals off the street and it has cost me the same or amount or more depending on the animal and the issue they might hav.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I do not think those prices are outrageous.

I adopted my dog from a rescue agency five years ago and I paid about $200.

The money covered prior care for her, physical examinations, vaccinations, and getting spayed. Considering how high vet bills run, I think this is a VERY fair price, especially for an animal that has probably never been to the vet before (as is common among most rescue adoptions...)

Plus, agencies want to make sure you can afford to take care of the animal, and that you are not just out looking for the "best bargain", so to speak.

Since there's such a range in the prices you listed, I wonder if puppies are more expensive than adult dogs. In that case, why not adopt an adult? (Mine was two when I got her.)
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Some of their animals had problems, like one had a skin disease and they almost have him completely cured, so I know they need money to help with that stuff but but I still think some of the prices are crazy. Their cats were like like $150-300 for purebreds and their kittens were $90. I can get free kittens all day lol I just feel sorry for those animals bc with those prices alot of people would rather spend that money and get a purebred. This place i got the prices from was in a town about 45 min away and I know we have a place here and the adoption fee is $70 for all dogs and I think about $45 for cats and that is with them getting spayed or neutured and being up to date on all their shots.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1539479/why_does_it_cost_so_much_to_adopt_a_shelter_animal

This was written by a friend of mine who runs a shelter. This explains it all. It's expensive to run these shelters, which is why many, in my area, are shutting down. It's even more sad to see that.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• In my area it is about 70 - 100 dollars for a dog.. that includes spay/neuter and shots, dewormer ect.. so those prices you saw are CRAZY.. how in the world do they expect those poor animals to get adopted for those fees!? do you live in a more expensive area? we have an area not to far from where i live that is pretty ritzy and their prices are high like that.. i would try maybe looking at a town over and see if the prices are different.. those are just crazy! Good for you tho for looking at shelters.. i worked at the human society for years and know how many of those babies need good homes!!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• That sounds very expensive. All of our pets have been adopted from the SPCA, animal foster homes, or local animal shelters. We have paid anywhere from $50 to 80 and the animals were already spayed or neutered. Try www.petfinder.com. You can enter what kind of pet you are looking for, learn about the animals, and type in your area. We found our dog & cat through this website. Our cat was in a person's home who ran a rescue foster home & our dog was adopted from a nearby county's animal shelter (which was a kill shelter so we saved her life).
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2010