I failed the glucose test!! Will my baby be normal?!!!!!

The nurse had just called me on the results saying my levels were kind of high and to come back in for the 3 hour test. I'm so disappointed and I've read so much bad things about GD and how the baby can have deformities because of this. Is this true? I eat healthy most of the time but lately I've been eating a lot of sweets but it's all my mom really ever buys. I don't have anyone to take me to the doctors during monday through thursday so I might just skip the second test and go to my regular doctor appointment next Friday. Since I've heard that news I feel very unhealthy and like my baby isn't going to make it. Please help this is making me depressed and I can't stop crying.

penguinbabe44

Asked by penguinbabe44 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was the same as anon. Everyone thought I was going to have a big baby. Even one of the nurses had to say something right before I was pushing it may take a long time to push because it is going ot be a big baby. Well 15min of pushing a out comes a 6lb 3oz 18.5" baby. They were all shocked.

If you have it. Eat healthy. I have not yet to know anyone with a deformed baby to GD.
    Anonymous

• I failed the 1 hour, barely passed the 3 hour and have a wonderful, perfectly healthy baby girl, who wasn't even big like GD babies normally are.
    Anonymous

• Everything will be fine if you follow the orders. You will be given a diet to follow. FOLLOW IT! and everything should be fine. Maybe they could do the three hour test on Friday. Call and find out.

GD does not necessarily mean anything will be wrong with your baby. My baby was born completely normal and I had GD she was normal size as well. Although she is type one diabetic now, the doctors say it's not related.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 3:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I had a GD with my 2nd baby but he is 6 yrs old now and healthy (thank God). They ask me to eat healthy. and everyday i have to log all the food i eat. and the juice in take limit it to 1 cup a day, lots of water. and they ask me to monitor my sugar everyday. just watch what you eat. Follow your doctor's advice or if there is a close nutritionist in your area you can check.

Don't worry to much you and your baby wil be ok.
    jjfaraon

Answer by jjfaraon at 3:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• that sucks your gonna have to go for 3 hours !! sorry but try not toeat anything next time maybe just water sometimes foods nock thetest off
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• try not to eat so much sugar, eat it in moderation.
    Anonymous

• My dd had GD with her last baby, she just had to watch her diet and count carbs, and she did just fine, and I have a beautiful granddaughter who is perfectly normal! If you do end up having GD, it's not the end of the world, you just have to take it seriously, your dr will help you learn what to eat and when.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 4:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Don't stress! I failed the 1 hour...passed the 3 hour with no problems...and had a happy, healthy baby boy...with a perfectly normal pregnancy!
    thea11ens

Answer by thea11ens at 4:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• no your baby will not be deformed.

http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2008/01/michel-odent-on-gd.html

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html

http://www.mothering.com/glucose-test

http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/diagnostic-tests-third-trimester
    Anonymous

• here is a quote i just found after googling gestational diabetes effects on babies

"Babies born to mothers with gestational diabetes do not have a greater risk of birth defects than the general population. "

mostly (if you do end up having GD, which i doubt it) you just have to keep your blood sugar under control or you baby will have trouble with blood sugar, and produce to much insulin, which can cause problems after birth.
    Anonymous