How can I fake happiness?

My depressions are hurting my family. I find it so hard to avoid the sad face, crying and all that. My husband can't take any more, what can I do so he and the kids don't notice this sadness inside me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Health

• Go get help! I mean that seriously not condescendingly. Depression is a serious issue and you need to tell your doctor about it. It's no way to live your life.

jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 3:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Don't Fake it, go to the doctor, health department where ever and get some meds. and soem counseling. Depression is not something you can just fake away.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 3:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• GO GET HELP!!!!!

No faking it. Get thee to the doctor. TODAY. There are plenty of treatments out there...take advantage of them.

You do NO ONE any favors by trying to fake happiness. Get to the doctor. If you don't have insurance, call the local health dept. 211 is a national social service hotline that can help you here. Make the call the second you finish reading this.

...

....

Why haven't you picked up the phone yet?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Aww hun, I'm depressed too, it can't be hidden, it needs to be dealt with. Please seek counseling, I'm in counseling and it does help.
    Anonymous

• You need to go in and see your Dr. De[ression is nothing to take lightly. I have been through depression and no matter how hard you try to hide it. It shows its self.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Normally, I tell people to fake it til you make it, just pretend to be happy and your mind will follow....but from the way you sound it sounds more serious than just not being happy. It really does sound like depression and that is a medical issue. You really do need to see a dr and tell them exactly how your feeling. There are meds that will help you, it may take a couple of weeks and maybe even trying a couple different meds, but in the end it'll be worth it, because you'll feel so much better.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 3:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You don't have to fake happiness, but did you know that happiness is really a choice? I've suffered from depression a lot in years past, and I would like you to know that there is healing for it. The first step is to determine the source of your depression. The question you should ask yourself is with whom or about what am I angry? Was there an event or a situation that made you feel like you were a victim or over which you felt you got a bad deal, were cheated, or left out? Is there someone in your past whom you feel just didn't treat you right, and you've never gotten over it? Were you ever emotionally, physically or sexually abused, even as a child? Did someone you loved very much go off and leave you, maybe even die? Depression is in most instances anger that has never been properly expressed and has been internalized. Very little of it is actually chemically caused, so I would look for the root of it first.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You need to deal with your condition for the sake of your family and your own, get help.

Answer by older at 3:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I am depressed and I came here and joined some domestic violence groups (that was my issue) I found friends who let me pour out my heart to them and they understood my feelings and validated them, sometimes that's all you need to feel better...to just vent, and be understood, it really helps you not feel alone and lifts the burden. My friend suggested I seek counseling and I didn't want to do that, tell my problems to someone who was just being paid to listen to me, but I finally started going and found my counselor helped me in ways my dear friends were unable to and my counselor really does care about me on a personal level, her compassion and understanding is real and she has insight from years of schooling and experience. I hope you find them help and support you need.
    Anonymous

• I'm still trying to figure this one out... and I got help but it sure didn't seem to work! I think the longer you go, the more you can hide it and everytime you start crying think of something that makes you smile no matter what (like a memory of you child when they were happy or excited)
    Anonymous