Preschool or no Preschool

Im a stay at home mom and have been since my 3 1/2 year old son was 9 mths old.....once in awhile i watch other peoples kids so he does get some interaction with other kids, i also have a 6 mth old.....just wondering what people think about preschool...if they really recommend it or if he would do fine with just kindergarden

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'll definitely send my daughter to preschool when she gets old enough.

I don't have kids of preschool age, but my parents enrolled me in preschool at age 2. It was Monday-Friday, 8-5 (a lot longer than kindergarten was when I finally got there). I learned to read, write, do basic math. By kindergarten I read as a fifth grader and wrote a little cursive. I have some really good memories of those years, too. For me, at least, it was just the right age.
    Anonymous

• My son was with me from birth, I did watch other kids, but, I knew he would cry if I had to leave him anywhere. So, when he was three, I started him at a two day a week daycare. He did cry at first, but, I didn't want him doing that in Kindergarten. At 4, he went to headstart. By Kindergarten, he was fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My boys are 3 and 5 and I work with both of them. My five year old knows math, spelling, some reading and my younger one is catching on quick. For the amount it will cost my family to pay for daycare I have been able to save and have everything we need to have a great life. There are a number of children in my neighborhood and they play and laugh and quite amazingly have gotten sick only once or twice each. They're healthy, happy and very smart. Its just my personal preference to have them go to kindergarten....I've always been advanced in school and have a great career and I started with only kindergarten....so shall my boys. :)
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I'm a SAHM too. I sent my son to preschool as soon as he was old enough at 2 1/2. My main reason was socialization. He's an only child and while we do a playgroup, occaisional playdates and the playground, it isn't quite the same. I would definitely recommend doing at least 1 yr of preschool before kindergarten since the vast majority of kids do that and it would put your child at a disadvantage.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• This is a personal decision. I do not send my son who is 4.5 years old. I teach him at home and also take him twice a week to the YMCA for classes that I am NOT in the room for. We also have at least one playgroup thing every other week and visit with friends and cousins on a weekly basis and he has a little sister so he is not in need of socialization. If you can give them the socialization and teach them yourself then it is not necassary to pay someone else to do it and I do not feel it puts them at a disadvantage at all. I actually think my son has an advantage by being around kids of all different ages instead of in a preschool class of only 4 year olds all day.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• in md it is not mandatory like it is in nj (in md it is only for really poor people), so i was really disappointed that my son couldn't go to pre-school. i think it's important for them to be in a classroom environment and playing with other kids away from mom. i also think it's great to get them used to school before kindergarden so they can concentrate on learning and not so much on getting into the school routine.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I sent all 3 of my school age kids to preschool and will send my baby as well. I think children who don't go to preschool are initially at a disadvantage when they start kindergarten, socially as well as educationally. They do catch up quickly, but if you are able for them to go, I think it helps.

Answer by missanc at 12:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2010