19 month old discipline.....

How do I keep my 19 month old from turning off the TV. Everytime my son is playing the Wii, watching TV, or playing the V-Smile - she walks up and turns the TV off or turns the VSmile game off. I have tried everything I know to do, but it's not working. What do you suggest???

Oh and how do I keep her from climbing on the tables when I am not looking? I have taken chairs, stools, etc away and put them on countertops and tables and in closets. But she finds a way to climb.

She is my 3rd child and I NEVER had these issues with my other two....

Advise please :-)

ratchetlee

Asked by ratchetlee at 3:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Emily is 3 and just now getting over turning the TV off. It didn't seem to matter what we did to discourage her. At a certain age, she knew exactly what she was doing and was usually sent to time out for not listening when we told her no....but it left her unfazed. She's got a strong will so pretty much nothing fazes her. If she's got her mind made up, she's gonna do it. Your daughter will likely grow out of it, tho it's frustrating waiting on that!! As for climbing, I don't know if you remember last year (exactly one year ago tomorrow), Emily climbed the stove right after I took a pan off the burner. 2nd and 3rd degree burns covered the palms of her hands. She has since stopped all climbing. It may take a good boo boo for your little girly to learn her lesson. Hopefully nothing as serious as Em's tho.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• THis is going to be a full time job, but redirect, mama. It works for my little nephew. He likes to poke buttons on the phone, on the DVD player, get into cabinets, etc. I just redirect him all day, when he's here, get him interested in something else. Yes, it's a full time job and does get tiresome, but maybe the older siblings can help out with that. Best of luck to you, mama. they grow up SO fast.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Nathan and Sarah could be twins! luckily he has gotten over turning the tv off, i think b/c he likes it on, lol. but he climbs on everything and Clare never did. you just have to keep correcting and be consistent. wish i could be of more help!
    AgentBrez

Answer by AgentBrez at 4:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Its old fashioned but try... time outs. My daughter is almost three years old and I have had those problems with her since she learned to walk! Pick a "special" spot in your house specifically for time out. and make sure you follow through. At that age the time is not long, but long enough for them to as other before me have said "to be redirected". after a few times being made to sit or stand in one spot, she will realize it is not so much fun. also if you do not have the time to pay attentionn to what she is doing, I would say put her in a booster seat with a toy or two. I know mommys do not really have eyes in the backs of their heads, and you have things you have to do.. so try the booster seat... its a head ache saver and also it saves something bad happening when you are not there to catch her when she accidently falls off of the table. good luck mama!
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 7:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I have tried time outs. I mean she is only 1 1/2, so she really didn't grasp it. Other than following her around all day and saying "no" - I have tried everything else.

She has taken a couple falls, enough to hurt her some (but nothing serious), but she got up and did the same thing over again (climbing), so she fell AGAIN and yet she wanted to climb again. IDk.

My other two - after a couple of good "NO"s and maybe an occasional pop on the hand, learned. I just have a very strong willed little girl on my hands I guess - UGH!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 7:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Rachel, I just bought the New Strong Willed Child book a few weeks ago. So far, it's pretty good. And the 4 chapters that I've read have helped alot. Don't know if you have it or have read it, but you could give it a try if not. Good luck. i have one of those kids too, lol.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2010