Wish I could REALLY believe but am just lying to myself and others.

I would love to honeslty and full-heartedly belive in God, but I just don't. I fear dying and what will happen after I die, if anything. I have always went to church and have always concidered myself a christian. I just feel like a fake because I have so many doubts. Then when I hear people say they have spoken to God I wonder why won't he speak to me so I won't have these doubts? I know you are supposed to just trust that he's real with no proof. But for me I can't. I would just be lying to myself. I don't think that would make me christian. I guess I don't really have a question, just kinda looking for guidance or even someone who knows what I'm going through.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Doubt is normal. Saint Thomas doubted, after all. You're a human being and wouldn't be normal if you didn't have that ability to doubt and question. After all. most of us don't run into a burning bush every day as Moses did. And no one living ever got to see the miracle of the loaves and fishes, or Christ walking on the water.

Heck. You can't even get all Christians to agree on everything.

But ask yourself this. Do you believe that it is right to love one another, and treat others as you would have them treat you?

If you can say yes to that, then you're golden. The rest of the answers will all come later.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I felt that way my entire childhood, and early adulthood. I realized then, that I was free to make up my own mind and it was going to be ok. As soon as I followed my OWN heart, I was happier than ever! To follow blindly that which others dictate, was the worst mistake I ever made!!
    Truth speaks differently to everyone. You need to find your truth, and accept it and embrace it. you will find comfort in it. Don't let others make you feel like a "sinner" or whatnot for following your own path. If you don't feel any "god", then you simply don't. It's OK!!
    Anonymous

• I undestand. I falter sometimes but I will never give up. I think something like who my soul will spend eternity with is important enough that I wont give up on it. I love God, I just have a hard time connecting with him like some people. Eventually I just had to realize that because Jesus and his love are perfect it has to be a problem on my side. I dont literally hear Gods voice but I see answers to my prayers in the simple things; my daughters smile, a sunset, my family being together. I am blessed whether God says it out loud to me or not. Try to join a study group or if you need encouragement message me, I often need it to.

amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Just talk to Him, He will answer, but His timing is so much different than ours. Sometimes We are so busy, we can't hear his still small, voice due to the noise of everyday things around us. We need a quiet place when we talk with Him, and often what I am trying to ask Him (little things), I get the answer from my Christian friend, I talk to her and I go Wow, God told me that too. you build a relationship with God.
    chevpam

Answer by chevpam at 4:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Many people have and do struggled with their faith. Pray for guidance.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Yeah, if it was that easy for me to just stop doubting I would. Obviously that's why I'm having such a hard time. I would love if I could just stop doubting. To all the others, thank you for your support.
    Anonymous

• You do not need to believe. It will only hurt you more in the end if you force yourself to. I struggled with it for a long time before I threw up my arms and went "SCREW IT!" and followed my HEART instead of what everyone else was telling me to follow. Only YOU can find your own truth.

When you become agnostic (or even atheist) it is a very scary notion. It's hard to be honest and change everything you grew up believing. Many many many agnostic and atheist people go through this, but we don't talk about it as often as we should. It takes time to come to to terms with it. There are two wonderful atheist mom groups on here if you ever want to stop by and talk to us. Even if you don't want to be an atheist, or even agnostic, it NEVER hurts to ask questions and hear where others are coming from.

Just be honest with your own heart.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Just remember that atheists/agnostics aren't "evil" devil worshippers. So if you have no belief in a god it doesn't mean you are evil. You aren't committing a sin, or going to burn in an imaginary hell.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• believing out of fear of death isn't really believing.

I am Christian and it is not about death, it is about living as God wants
    Anonymous

• And if you do decide to follow the path of nonbelief, you need to be prepared to be preached to and told that doubting is silly or wrong. It comes with the territory, and it's very difficult to tell others that you don't believe like you once did.

But I promise you that the feeling of being honest is so freeing. When you have that burden of lying lifted off your shoulders, anything is possible =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2010