Do you think pregnant women should be regularly tested for drug or alcohol use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Okay, you can't have it both ways. Not legally.

If we make a law that pregnant women get such tests, then the REASON for doing it would be to protect the health of the baby, right?

I happen to believe that we SHOULD protect the health of unborn babies. I believe they ARE indeed human beings with the same right as any citizen to be protected from being injured or killed.

However, I am routinely dismissed by people who insist that an unborn baby does NOT have the right to be protected by the gov't.

SOOO.
    If the gov't is NOT protecting the unborn, then there is NO legal/Constitutional basis for compelling the mother to have tests.

If the gov't IS compelling tests for the sake of the baby's health, and claiming that this is legal, then the gov't cannot endorse the killing of unborn babies.

Either an unborn baby IS under protection of the law ... or it is not.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Well, from someone who suffered 4 miscarriages and thinks having a baby is nothing to take for granted it doesn't sound like a bad idea. At least for mothers who have a history of drug addiction.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 4:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• In Miami, they get drug tested at the time of birth and if they find drugs in their system the baby gets taken away from them. I think they should get tested, but then again there are ways of masking those tests.

Answer by older at 4:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Its a waste of money and a "stimulus" package to the insurance industry....

I don't mind testing if there is a suspicion,

Testing everyone might make some refuse pre-natal care

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• When I was pregnant they did blood tests to check to find diseases such as anemia and gestattional diabetes, among others. It wouldn't hurt to include drug and alcoholtesting,using the sample that is regularly taken at visits. DOesn't everyone have blood tests when pregnant? I was pregnant in the late 1960's, 1971.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Ya I think they should
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• But this will keep some people from seeking medical help why they are pragnant and cause even more problems for the baby
    babygirl9669

Answer by babygirl9669 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2010