What kind of Grandparent are you or going to be when you become one?

I plan to be there 100 % for my kids and Grandkids including "babysitting" for them when needed or when I want to! There is no such thing as "Babysitting" your grandkids!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm like you, I'll be a 100% granny!! I'll be the babysitter so my kids don't have to pay one, and I know they'll be well taken care of. I'll be the trip to the park, or the restaurant-playland, or zoo, or back yard ball coach, or anything they want out of grandma.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I have no idea! I Hope that is 20+ years away. I do want to spoil them to a point and respect my children's parenting styles... but I have NO idea what the next 20+ years will teach me.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• There is such a thing as babysitting your grand kids. I would never dream of imposing on my parents if they were too tired or otherwise engaged to watch my kids for me. They're too old and too tired to want to be bothered sometimes. They did their job in raising me and my sibs and I respect that.

As for what kind of grandparent I'll be- I'll be the kind to love my grand kids, but I won't be a door mat for when my kids can't be bothered to watch their own kids.
    Anonymous

• I have been so patiently waiting for one!! I will devote my life to them as much as I devoted my life for my kids. I will be there 110% for every little or big need, specially thinking of the child's parents at every step. I cannot wait to share my love with a new life coming from my own.

Answer by older at 4:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I have 22 grandchildren from ages 13 to 9 days old all live in town so I see them. I don't babysit I would never have a day off with that many kids. I love them and spend time with all of them but I don't feel my children are owed a thing. They were given a great home with lots of love, an education, college paid for and we helped each of our kids buy their first homes they are on their own now and we have done more than enough. We have three family vacations a year and I try to have one of my children and their families over for dinner so I can spend time with that child, their spouse and kids individually. I have a huge dinner on Sunday after church whoever can make it comes usually they all come. My husband and I travel, do things with our friends and just spend quiet evenings at home. We already raised our children now our children need to raise their own children.
    Anonymous

• I hope to be supportive, but not intrusive. I hope I will be the kind of grandma my kids won't mind leaving their children with from time to time and the kind of grandma my grandchildren will want to spend time with. I have very fond memories of my own grandparents, and I hope to provide the same for my own grandchildren. I hope I will be a grandma who really knows her grandchildren as individuals. I really am excited at the prospect of becoming a grandma, but I hope it is at least 10 to 15 years away (my oldest is 13).
    Anonymous

• I am a Gramma and I have fun with all my grandkids. I love to babysit....well, actually,I spend lots of time with them , especially to let their Mom and Dad have a "date night". We just hang out or take the dog for a long walk or go see a Movie like "UP" or "The Blind Side" and we play games . There is nothing better.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Anon:37 I envy you. We had our kids right off so when they were grown we could still be young enough to really enjoy the things we love. My youngest had been moved out 9 months. We were having a ball. A cruise, two other trips, dancing anytime we wanted. No worries about teenagers schedules or activites.......and then the call came. You can raise your kids to be wonderful people. What you least expect is to marry someone their polar opposite and then make bad choice after bad choice. We initially took custoday of our grandkids 'until Mom and Dad finish with court ordered classes" etc. We lived 1500 miles away. 5 years and total adoption later we find ourselves bodyslammed 25 years back in time. We love them very much...by the time they are old enough to be on their own we will be over 70. Be careful what you say you will or won't do...life has a way of taking a turn just when you least expect it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I have 3 grandchildren and they are my heart. We bake together, we go to the boardwalk and ride the rides, we go to the wild animal farm we do so many things together. Their mom asks only that they have a big glass of milk daily. She didn't say it couldn't be chocolate milk with oreo's. I always have marshmallows at my house and they know it. I have a bedroom in my house that is now the kids room. We have bunk beds a dresser and a big toy box. So they have plenty of room to play. I love having them over and spend the night. They have clothes, toothbrush and everything they need here. Any and all of them are welcome at any time. This grandma buys toys their other grandma buys clothes. They almost always have some thing new here. Frequently a book or a toy.
    Anonymous

• I'd be a great grandparent.....I probably wont be home much due to my job, but I'd like to be there as often as I can. I know that my having two sons means they will be more involved with the wife and maternal side, but I'll still be there when they need me.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2010