Whats the average wages for a typical retail job, receptionist or basic clerical work?

I am trying to decide if moving out of state is worth it- the rent is much cheaper than california, Im sure the tax rate is lower, but I want to see if tis truly worth the move

and whats the minimum wage where you are? Its $8 here in california

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not sure where you are moving too, but here is a really good salary calculator to help you out:

http://www.salary.com/salary/index.asp

After finding jobs in the area you want to move to, you should then use the cost of living tool to compare your current and future salaries to see if it's a good move or not--or to determine if you'll be able to make ends meet.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• The federal minimum wage is $7.25. Washington State has the highest minimum wage, at $8.55/hr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._minimum_wages

Answer by gdiamante at 4:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• the best way to get answers to that question is to look at local job posting in the newspaper ads online for the general area you are thinking of moving to that will give you a good idea of what to expect .......good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• $7.25 here....but rent is a lot cheaper than CA. Before he bought his house last summer my son rented a 900 sq foot, 2 bed apt for 500 a month. He is in Central Texas. I am in South Central Texas and studios start at $350 here...average for a pone bedroom is $450.
    The last apt we rented in CA when my hub was still on Active duty was 928 sq ft, 2 bedroom and was 1100 a month and that was over 10 years ago. San Diego County
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Your best bet is to do a comparsion between the two cities not necessary the job wage. To see how much your buck can stretch. 

Anonymous

• I'm in WA. The mine wage is $8.55 and that is set high for the west side, I live on the east side. The average 2br apt. is between $600 and $700. Plus, if you live close to the WA/ID border you could live in ID and work in WA. Rent is way less in ID.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Target pays 9 bucks an hour where I live starting out. If you work in the warehouse they start out at 14 and hour both are hiring actually many places are hiring we have very low unemployment 4.2 percent those who want to work have jobs and can get a job. You can rent a 2 bedroom house for 500 a month utilities are very cheap and many time included in the rent. We lived in Cali and save nearly 1200 a month in rent (we are home owners in here), utilities and groceries. We are in Iowa.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2010