What are some ideas on rewarding a good report card?

My 5 year old came home today with a good report card. She has mastered everything this period and has all S+ in all her subjects. Even her conduct. The teacher said she is a pleasure to have and she gets along well with others and listens well.

I want some ideas on things I can do to reward her. Besides telling her she has done a good job and that I am proud of her I want to do something special.

RaeLynn1221

Asked by RaeLynn1221 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I let my kids pick their reward for stuff like that. Most of the time, my son chooses to go to his favorite ice cream parlor (though we'll have to come up with a new one, because his favorite closed), and my daughter likes to go get a manicure. It works well for us.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 9:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• growing up I got money as a treat for my grades. I got to spend it on something I wanted for doing good. I got $4 for A's $3 for B's $2 for C's $1 for D's and Nothing for F's... The better I did the more money I got to buy the things I wanted!
    Anonymous

• make her a cake and let her decorate it or buy her a special toy, just you her and dad (if possible) maybe a special lunch at her favorite place.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I personally wouldn't give a child a reward for a good report card. A congrats works well enough. Also, if we make a tradition of celebrating every report card now, what do we do when she's really working hard at school? Throw a party?

If you insist, maybe some quality time. If she enjoys books, then buy her some books. Find a way to keep her "rewards" as educational as possible, so her mind stays focused on that.

After all, that is why she is getting the reward in the first place isn't it?
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 4:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• We don't pay allowance, we pay for grades; we include an honor roll bonus

Answer by rkoloms at 4:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Cash and prizes can undermine what you have already accomplished. You want her to do well because she is motivated and it is meaningful to her, not because she gets paid for it. You've got a good thing going, so don't mess with it. Tell her you are proud and happy for her. You will be stealing an amazing gift from her if you tie her school performance to rewards. She is on the right track now. Good job Mom!
    Anonymous

• We took our son out to dinner for his good first report card. When we get this next one, I'll let him pick what we'll have for dinner and dessert as a reward.

I think it's important to reward good grades even if it's from our words.

Tell your daughter WTG from Cafe Jenn :-)
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 7:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Take her to the dollar store and get her a small something for every grade.
    Anonymous

• I don't pay for good grades, that is a child's job---to get the grades they are capable of. Now if she was having issues and got her grades up from failing to A's and B's, then yes I would do something. Let her pick a special place for dinner, rent a movie, go to a movie. Or even better, let her buy a new book to show off her new reading skills.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• my parents took us out to dinner which was a special treat bc they were cheap LOL
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010