is two weeks enough breastfeeding time to get his immunities and such?

my baby is 2 weeks and 2 days old. I had been pumping bottles and bottles of breastmilk. I pumped cause my baby wont latch at all. He just screams when we try and get him on it. Even at the hospital the nurses couldnt get him to latch either. Well like I said I pumped a lot of milk the first week now I can barely get an ounce out of both breasts... Im still pumping often why is it going away? Was the 2 weeks he got the BM enough for him to get all the good stuff out of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yup and you got him off to a good start. You tried. No one can ask any more of you than that.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You really should keep trying. At two weeks you can reestablish a latch. Your child is getting immunities the entire time you breastfeed, it's not like the first two weeks is going to set them up for their childhood. You should try a supplemental breastfeeding system until you get the latch perfect. Try breast first every time, then move on to bottle.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It's better than NONE. No, it won't get ALL imm,unities because many of them only come up as you are exposed to things. But it's better than nothing.

Still...at two weeks it's nowhere near too late to try to get him on the breast, *if you want.* Hospital personnel are generally not much help with this. Find an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant for the best in hands on help (google "find an IBCLC" for help with that). Le Leche League can also assist you.

And you can also drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group here on Cafemom.

Again...IF YOU WANT. Your choice here.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• you did your best, prolactin is released by the brain and it's what keeps your boob juice going, if you pump usually it will dry up fast bc the baby isn't suckling and releasing the prolactin in your brain. our bodies are amazing! if you have breast milk keep feeding it, otherwise get breast milk from somewhere else or use formula.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Oh. And BTW...one ounce is NORMAL output at the pump.

• Pumps will never produce as much milk as baby will even in the best situation, and some women don't do well with pumps anyway. I had a latching problem for the first two weeks with my first son too. He wouldn't latch on without a nipple shield after some nurse gave me one in the hospital. (Don't know why she gave it to me, the first latch was perfect! I'll know better next time lol) In your case, maybe you should TRY a nipple shield.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 4:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You are doing your best! At least you wanted to use breast milk and that is great! If you can keep pumping if your baby won't latch, then that would be best.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I was in the same boat that you were in.I was only able to pump for about 2 wks and then i had to start supplementing formula. Its better then not giving him any at all and at least you tried. When i was first pumping it was every 3 hours and would get 16oz just on one side and get 32 on one side if i pumped for 15min on just the one side. But it was like that for almost the whole time so i had a lot frozen because DS only ate 2oz at a time. But then all of the sudden i was only able to get an oz if i was lucky. and that was with pumping every hour for at least 15 min on each side to try to get more. Finaly i just gave up.He was still drinking BM till he was about 2 1/2months old because i started out with so much but i did what i could. I wanted to do it for a year but it just didnt happen.So we worked with what we got.Dont worry about it and dont let people tell you your a bad mom because of this it happenes and you did good
    Anonymous

• The pump does not stimulate the nipple like a babies tongue... that's why some people see their milk production go down when using a pump.

You've done 2 weeks and that's great, but 1 month, 6 months, a year are even better. Talk to your hospital lactation consultant or go to a la leche league. i thought my children wouldn't latch on, but I found my nipple was large and I had to force them onto it and wait for them to grow into it. Get to a la leche league if you can't afford a consultant.

good luck.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 5:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• its better than nothing,
    Anonymous