Is it wrong to go to church for the kids?

My BF and I aren't very religious. We have our basic beliefs but don't feel the need to announce them to the world. I was brought up Catholic, but left the church in my teens to go to a Christian church, but left in my 20's. My BF was brought up without any religious upbringing. We were talking the other night about how it might be a good thing for the kids to go to church. We thought it might teach them some basic morals/values along with other kids their age and allow us all to bond with other families within the church community. Is that a crazy idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it's a great idea. It sounds like, because you want your kids to learn, that you and DH may have an interest to learn too. Look into some churches in your area. Go to a few. If you find one that feels right, start going. It's not going to hurt anyone at all. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It's not a crazy idea at all. BUT, you can teach basic morals and values without church or God. Somehow, I've managed to do it with my two kids so far. And my DS is one of the most loving, caring, upstanding kids i've ever known. Even moreso than many of my christian friends kids. Not to compare, but I'm tryint to make a point:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• If you feel you cannot provide a moral compass for your children yourself, then by all means- seek it out at church. My husband is religious and I am agnostic and we are raising our children without any religion. Teaching them to be good, moral people for all the right reasons- and not out of fear of righteous retribution is a perfectly respectable way to raise children. I believe that Churches do offer some social networking, but as for your current religious beliefs you may want to seek out a Unitarian church instead of a Catholic church if you want to be accepted as a person who is using the church for those reasons.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Truly, I wish my mother had taken my brother & I to church as young people. As I grew older, I gravitated toward the desire to get in touch with my spirituality. I was too afraid to go to church b/c I'd never been and didn't know what went on in there. Thankfully, I spent a great deal of time w/ my bf's family in college and they extended the invitation to me to join them at their church. Even if I decided not to become religious, I really wish that I was introduced to the church so I wasn't afraid of it half my life.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Yes it's a crazy idea.

You don't need a god or a church to be moral or teach morals.
    Anonymous

• OP here...its not just a matter of teaching morals/values to the kids, its also to give the children an opportunity to make friends with other children with similar beliefs/morals. We do teach our children about having good morals & values and they're pretty good kids, but many of the people they associate with aren't learning at home or at church and we think they might benefit in more ways than that.
    Anonymous

• Honestly going to church for that reason is not the reason we should be going to church.
    A church is where we fellowship, worship God and learn to develop a relationship with Christ.... in so doing that we will want to walk in righteousness and to love like He does.
    Many Christians go to church for the wrong reasons which is sad.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• IDK what your definition of fellowship is Shaneagle777, but in my mind, it envelopes everything OP said in her 2nd post. "an opportunity to make friends with other children with similar beliefs/morals". And hey, if they learn about God and something encourages the growth of good moral character, then I find nothing wrong with OP's intentions. Church isn't a special club that only allows specific folks to attend. OP, taking the kiddos to church certainly won't do them any harm.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Hi Shaneagle, OP here. Just one question. For families who go to church for the 'right' reasons (whatever that definition may be) is it wrong then for them to drag their kids along since the kids may not be going for the 'right' reasons? Is it 'wrong' to want your kids to fellowship with God and other followers?
    Anonymous

• PS - the only reason to go to church is because you feel it is right. God would never turn anyone away. Even if, in Shaneagle's definition, it isn't the "right" reason, God will move in you there. I don't care if the person next to me in church is there because he/she is hiding from their spouse or whatever. They are in God's presence and with prayer they will benefit from it.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2010