Should people with government medical assisstance get treated differently at the doctor?

Even if u think it doesn't happen IT DOES!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't feel I've been treated differently by my docs just because I'm on MA. I'm sure it does happen in places, but I've never experienced it.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 4:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Absolutely not. Doctors should not see dollar signs and just see people in need of care. I'm sure it does happen though.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• No. And I don't think it happens. Just my take on it. I have Medicare and I am treated well and have no issues at all. I am retired,by the way. I don't know...maybe it is really true about "Minnesota nice" ? LOL.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Do I think a doctor should act out against a person because they have government health insurance.....?? I take it this is your way of trying to just let us know you had a bad experience. My sister receives free health insurance for her children, gift cards for keeping them up on well checks, $5 prescriptions and office co-pays and her doctor's office stayed open 24/7 when there were peak swine flu outbreaks in the area. Her doctor won't even TAKE the insurance I pay $170.00 per WEEK for. I have a $25/copay and $55 prescription co-pay. I have deductibles to meet. My insurance prevents me from spacing apart vaccines and discriminates against my family because we have a penicillin allergy. I would gladly have someone give me a dirty look and forgo all of those expenses. In fact, if someone else paid for all of that completely I would probably stop looking for reasons to complain about everything in life and be thankful.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Absolutely NOT! And I don't think it happens like you think it does. It is ILLEGAL.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It happened to me. I was treated terrible by many drs who refused to treat me bc of having state insurance. They all told me the same thing "when you are in pain, go to the ER". It took over a year to find a Dr who would finally remove my gallbladder. When he did he said it was in horrible shape and it should have been removed a long, long time ago.
    It won't matter soon though. Pretty soon we will ALL be on government health care : (
    Anonymous

• No, they shouldn't, but unfortunately if its non emergency care or regular services people currently on medicaid and medicare have to wait longer for specialist care than people with private insurance.

It doesnt have to be that way though.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 5:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• If you think you get treated poorly with gov health care, try not having any at all...its absolutely ridiculous!!! It happens every now and then but i think its more in specialty docs not with primary care or general doctors. I dont see why they should treat anyone differently regardless of if you pay, the gov pays or they write it off, they DEF get their money!!!
    Anonymous

• The VA is a prime example! Soldiers get nothing.

I've been a cash patient before. I had the money, just no insurance. I paid BEFORE I saw the doctor. Treated way bad.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Of course they are treated different! How can someone really belive this doesnt go on everyday to thousands of ppl. It may be a slight scew when it comes to treatment or down right discrimination! It might not happen to you or ppl you know but it does happen!!
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 7:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2010