Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My only income is Social Security (Medical) and child support do I file taxes?

I do not work as I am on medical disability. I recieve child support.

Do I still have to file anything? does anyone have experience in this or am I exempt?


Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Don't listen to these people. You may be exempt from having to count social security as taxable income depending on your total amount of income. If it is over a certain limit, it is only partially taxable, and NO, child support does NOT count as taxable income. Where do you people get your information and why are the people with no accurate facts always the ones who are insistent on spreading their misinformation around?

    Also, you may get a refund in the form of a tax credit such as the Earned Income Credit, so I would file anyway to see if you could get the credit. You could likely get something of a $1400 credit if you have custody of your child.

    Please ladies, stop handing out information on topics you know nothing about.

    OP, here is how you figure out what percent of your SSI benefits will be taxable:

    Answer by elleinad at 4:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • Yes, you still file taxes. My parents had to file every year after retirement.

    Answer by gdiamante at 4:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • BTW...child support does count as income.

    Answer by gdiamante at 4:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • OMG yes, you are not exempt from anything.

    Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • I recommend filing online. Because you don't have any actual earned income (ie job) you won't get a refund of anything, so don't waste your time filing at a place that charges you. is free to file your federal return.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

    Answer by rkoloms at 4:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2010