Is it normal that I still can't control my 20 month old when we go places? If we go to an office he won't stay with me, he just runs around and tries to go everwhere he's not suppose to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah. My son stopped doing that a few months short of his 4th birthday. Some kids are just more wily than others, and I don't know a single toddler who ISN'T.
    Anonymous

• He sounds like a typical kid. I wouldn't worry.
    My son was like that but he turned out to be a fine man. He is 38 and seems to have settled down. ;-) But good luck it..... is a challenge.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I would say it's fairly "normal" but that doesn't make it ok. A 20 month old is capable of listening and following direction. Think about it this way:

When you leave to go out to these places, do you make your child wear a coat? Does he have to sit in his carseat buckled? You manage to have some things in his life that are under control and not up for negotiation- the only difference is you ALLOW the behavior when you go out in public. You need to set clear consequences and leave if your child misbehaves. There is no excuse for letting your child run around like mad in public.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 5:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My 26 month old son has been banned from going out to eat. Yes, he knows what NO means or "you need to listen " "Time outs" etc.. but he does the limp noodle when I try to discipline, and Yes, we have left resteraunts and he gets consistant punishment but he could care less.. he's very active. this mostly happens at the Doctors office though. He's getting a little bit better but yeah,... I don't know if its normal but I understand it..lol!! and no its not ALLOWED for my son. I have put him in time out but he will put himself in there, and at Dr appt's. we HAVE to be there. and if I hold him he screams at the top of his lungs or limps away from me.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I guess we were lucky, our boys sit quietly when we go places, they also know there will be consequences if they don't behave.. So maybe it's not luck,lol...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i had that problem too before. My iPod save me from those running around. i just download there favorites movies in my iPod. then if we are in the doctors office or anywhere i just turn on my iPod w/ the movies they want to watch.
    jjfaraon

Answer by jjfaraon at 5:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• While I agree with "Pat"...it's one thing to leave somewhere if your child is not behaving. However, if you're somewhere, the grocery store for instance and leaving is not an option, that's not always possible.

The only thing I can suggest is if you have to go out shopping, make sure they few well and not tired. If you have a list, try making a game out of them helping to find something on the list. We've been having this same problem with my stepsons, they are 4 & 5, we usually get two carts, they ride in one with dad and I put the food in my cart. It's sort of working, although they hate being in the same cart. I had the same problems with my two older kids, it takes time, but they will grow out of it...eventually!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• What worked for me is that I got myself into a habit of bringing lots of distractions. I have three boys and everyone single one of them has tested the waters at some point, you live and you learn or you have perfect children like MrsLeftlane (yeah right!). Anyway, no it's not allowed, but it will happen, that's how kids learn (not to mention YOU mama! ) So next time, be prepared with patience, and coloring books, trucks or cars, small snacks like cheerios or (GASP!) fruit snacks. Anything that will consume atleast a few minutes of what would otherwise be him running around trying to push all your buttons!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Actually, my child would sit and act just right. The other child I babysat would not. His mom did not discipline at all. So, yes, if disciplined, your child will sit still and mind.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Control??? Yes it is normal. You can't CONTROL anyone else. He probably doesn't get enough mental and physical stimulation at home and is so excited to be out he goes nuts.

Keep him busy and happy at home. Make sure he has an outlet for ALL of his energy (not just the amount you think is acceptable). He will be much happier that way.

Anonymous