What is your honest opinion of unassisted homebirths with no doctors or medical teams on standby or anything??

I think it's irresponsible! What if something goes terribly wrong and you or your baby dies before you can get to the hospital?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They have been proven to be safer and more effective than hospital births, with complications and death rates that are a FRACTION of hospital births. Other countries have this as the standard, and we have the worst infant and maternal mortality rates in the industrialized world. You really need to do your research before spouting off such ignorant statements.
    Anonymous

• I think it is an awesome way to birth. Things can go wrong both ways, home or hospital. Some people just feel better at home with no outsider helping. Accidental home deliveries happen often anyway. I say go for it if it is your thing. I want a home birth with a midwife on standby, but, to each his own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Your chances of you or your baby dying are 7 times higher every time you get in a car to drive -- so how would you like it if someone told you that your driving a car with no medical team on standby was irresponsible parenting? It sounds stupid, doesn't it? Exactly.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 5:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Sounds like it would be a really nice experience. Allowing things to progress naturally, getting in a more natural position, being more at ease in your home environment. Those all sound like positives.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 5:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i think it's illegal, in mo it is anyway.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it for women who do not have any known risk factors.  It is a personal choice and giving birth in a hospital doesn't guarantee that tragedy won't strike. 

Is it irresponsible to leave your house?  You might get mugged, or hit by a car,  or washed away in a flash flood.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I'm all for people making their own choices. But this one is a bit far IMO.

beeky stated "women who do not have any known risk factors" well, these women are doing this with NO medical care, which means they don't know if they have risk factors or not.

If a woman wants to do it all herself and natural, fine get a midwife and have her sit in the room or just outside IN CASE there is a problem.

It is neglect to not give your child proper medical care while they grow up, I see no difference in going through an entire pregnancy and birth with no medical care. And I think any mother that gives birth this way and the baby dies of something that could have been prevent with proper medical care should be arrested and charged with murder.
    Anonymous

• 1) It's not illegal

2) Babies die in hospitals all the time

3) If you don't feel comfortable with it, don't give birth that way.
    Anonymous

• I see no difference in going through an entire pregnancy and birth with no medical care. And I think any mother that gives birth this way and the baby dies of something that could have been prevent with proper medical care should be arrested and charged with murder.
    ------

Well until abortion is illegal you don't have a leg to stand on with that theory, but thanks for your opinion.

Anonymous

• I dont like it. i wouldnt do it i mean.. I saw on TLC (i think), its the show that follows like 3 women doctors who are OBs and one lady wanted a home birth and had such a horrible time she came in, and when she was delivering the baby tore her so bad, so was bleeding HORRIBLY.. the dr had to do many stitches and applying pressure and was just about to take her to the OR when it stopped.. if she had been home she would have died.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2010