• In the Spotlight:

U.S. Chamber warns of 'double-dip' recession because of Dem policies

U.S. Chamber of Commerce President Tom Donohue warned the U.S. faces a double-dip recession because of the taxes and regulations under consideration by the Democratic Congress and President Barack Obama.

I just can't help but wonder, how will we will dig out of the one we are in now?

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/75401-us-chamber-warns-of-double-dip-recession

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 5:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Easy. ... UN-do the taxes and regulations which are drowning businesses and citizens in debt.

If individuals and businesses can keep ALL of their money, then we will have millions of people making decisions about what is done with the money - decisions based on a real working knowledge of what is going on in their community.

The way it is now, bureaucrats a thousand miles away are making these decisions.

How about this? We PAY our taxes WHEN WE FILE our income tax forms - no withholding of taxes so that the gov't gets the use of our money for a whole year before we even OWE it to them.

(Of course I would advocate the elimination of the income tax.)

ALSO, we have amazing stores of natural gas, coal and oil which we could tap. This would halt the hemorrhage of oil money flowing overseas, and would free us from manipulation by oil-producing countries.

By SELLING our oil / gas, we could quickly get out of debt !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I just can't help but wonder, how will we will dig out of the one we are in now?

Probably with another stimulus is my guess. He will come out and give a teleprompter speech telling us all that we must sacrifice for the greater good or some cliche like that. Isn't that what politicians usually do?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i think the idea is to make everyone more dependent on the gov't. I also think they won't try to dig out, just make more bad policies and blame Bush.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• We won't until the dems and BO are stopped. With any luck, that will be very soon. I pray every day that these asses are stopped and gone soon. I can't wait for the 2010 elections. Every dem is losing so far in the polls. Yeah!!!!
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Obama will spend more, but not call it a stimulus. Change the name, pretend it's not more government spending,and tax the hell out of everyone but not call it tax.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 6:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I know this won't come as a shock, but even the ASSOCIATED PRESS has to admit that Obama's stimulus did NOTHING to help the unemployment rate.

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2010/01/report_us_stimulus_road_projec.html

Spend a lot or spend nothing at all, it did not matter, the AP analysis showed: Local unemployment rates rose and fell regardless of how much stimulus money Washington poured out for transportation, raising questions about Obama's argument that more road money would address an "urgent need to accelerate job growth."

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Double-dip? As far as I can tell, we're still in the first dip. Can't wait for all the new "green" jobs to kick in......Sure do hope that someone starts up a solar panel or wind turbine factory around here.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Get rid of Obama and dems and do away with what he sat up.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Double-dip? As far as I can tell, we're still in the first dip. Can't wait for all the new "green" jobs to kick in......Sure do hope that someone starts up a solar panel or wind turbine factory around here
    -----------------------
    Tell me where you are and I'll tell you if there will be one.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2010