8mo old wakes up at 2 a.m. screaming, wont go back to sleep, what to do?!

My 8mo old reccently started waking up at 2 am on the dot, for the past three days. She ususally wakes up several times in the night still for a bottle, but when she wakes up screaming she will not accept a bottle.
Shes recently started standing on her own, so when she wakes up she stands. Once shes awake for awhile shes fine. Not fussing, not in any pain, not hungry. But tired. I dont know what to do! I thought maybe shes teething so I gave her some orojel, and it did nothing. I basically had to sit there with her last night from 2 am-5am playing with her and coaxing her back to sleep.
Any suggestions?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 5:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Leave the light off. Do not change her diaper. Say nothing. Quietly rock her or pat her to sleep and leave. It's not a problem to leave before she is asleep, as long as she is quiet and calm I would let her be awake. It's totally normal for babies to wake overnight but self-soothing and falling back to sleep is a learned skill.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 5:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I'm guessing she got scared. She will be fine. Going to her and showing her that you are there if she needs you is the right thing to do. She'll adjust and start sleeping through the night.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Bring her to your bed and nurse her back to sleep.
    Anonymous

• This may sound ridiculous, but when mine did that, it was because she didn't know how to lay herself back down.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2010