Can you buy protein powder on food stamps?

Can you purchase protein powder using food stamps? I know you can't buy vitamins and supplements. Is this considered a supplement?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2008 in Food & Drink

• you can't buy it on food stamps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2008

• if you're on foodstamps maybe you should be more concerned with getting basic necessities.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2008

• no
    sunshine21pa

Answer by sunshine21pa at 9:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2008

• The reason I ask is this IS a nessecity for me and my family. I find it very difficult to get my son to eat much of anything. HOWEVER he LOVES smoothies. I am used to putting protein powder in it for nutritional purposes for him. I do not use it as a supplement to gain muscle or anything like that. I am a single mom and I do NOT receive child support. Even though I have a college degree I cannot find work, so I am now going to school for a nursing degree which is basically a recession proof career.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2008

• Great Job trying to find the right answers for you and your son- Since you cannot buy protein powder with food stamps, I would try to look online for basic nutrition info on the natural foods with protein that you can add to your smoothies- such as a peanut butter, or certain vegetables.
    All your research on nutrition is sure to help in your future as a nurse.
    And also make sure your son is getting tons of sleep at night and plenty of exercise during the day. This will help him in so many ways. and ultimately help you get time for study and for yourself. Don't forget to take the best care of yourself so you can be there for him. Best of Wishes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• I agree with the above post. I would also not depend on the protein powder and use it under the supervision of a doc (and maybe you are). If he really needs it, a prescription might cover it but proteins can be whipped into the smoothie and still be delicious. Good luck with nursing. An excellent choice.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 5:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2008

• Actually everyone was wrong. You can purchase some protein powders with EBT. As long as the label reads "Nutrition Facts" and not "Supplement Facts" it is considered a food and can be purchased with food stamps.

I can't believe how snarky and judgmental some of the above responses are... unbelievable.
    MoBetta

Answer by MoBetta at 12:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• yes you can!
    Buy muscle milk it's taste really good!
    riosamba

Answer by riosamba at 4:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• You can purchase the protien powder that says nutrient facts not supplement facts on the package. It makes big difference. Walmart has 3-4 different ones you can get under 20 dollars for a tub of it. N people, don't be so quick to bash people buying it on snap. Lots of different reasons to use protien powders. Lots of different nutrients to supplement a basic diet as well
    Liltdanh

Answer by Liltdanh at 5:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• Jesus! I had the same question... I can't believe how judgmental some of these responses are. Tisk tisk... Why are some of you so hateful to women truly seeking answers to help them and their families? Ridiculous.
    MacchiatoBaby

Answer by MacchiatoBaby at 6:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2013