Is it right to reuse a baby name?

When I was growing up I had picked out a baby name if I ever had a son so naturally when I got pregnant and it was a boy I already had the name picked out and didnt refer to my pregnancy as baby but as Sean Michael. The pregnancy ended in miscarriage. I loved that name so much but if I were to get pregnant again with a boy I dont know if it would be right to reuse the name. Sean Michael was alive with a beating heart and all but just never was born, it sort of feels wrong to give his name to another baby but on the other hand I really would want to use the name I had picked out all these years. To me my daughter was my second child even though the first was never born and there is no grave to visit. I could use some opinions on reusing the name. Thanks

dd_wam

Asked by dd_wam at 5:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it honestly depends on you and your family. Sorry for your loss.
    Anonymous

• i'd say in that situation it's all in what you feel comfortable doing. if using the name would bring back good memories use it, or if it brings back bad memories don't.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I named my children so their initials spelled out LOVE. The "O" Was for Owen who was born still at 18 weeks. In the initial shock, we left the records nameless so we could reuse the name but eventually chose not to.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 5:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Do what feels right in your heart. BTW..I love the name. I think it would be different if your child had been stillborn. Or passed shortly after birth. That isn't to say your baby wasn't 'real' only that the name wasn't documented somewhere.. Some Native American cultures believe children who are never born are reborn to the same mother at another time. If it were me, I would use it.
    Anonymous

• I think it's fine. As a matter of fact, in reading some books by Dr Brian Weiss it's possible that it IS Sean Michael and that he wasn't ready to be born before now. I know that sounds extreme but maybe the spirit is that of the original fetus. Not sure if I'm going to get bashed for that theory but it's a thought. If you feel good about using it, then use it. If you feel it's wrong then change it.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think if you get pregnant again with another boy the answer will be crystal clear to you.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2010