What should I go to school for? I need to better my life for my kids....Help me decide, Please!

Im 27, divorced, never went to college. I need to do this. I always wanted to be a family law attorney but thats out of the question now so I thought about the law field but I also am into fashion and I think Event planning would be interesting too. Here are a few things Ive looked into....
Court Reporting, Business Management, Fashion Merchandising, Criminal Justice, Paralegal or Event Planning.
What would you go to school for? What do you think has the most potential financially and with longevity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in

• Call the unemployment off or the local college and see if they give free aptitude tests. There is no reason to spend time and money on a career when you are not suited for it. Find out what your skills are and then decide.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• The nursing profession is in desperate need of good quality health care workers. You can get your LPN at some places in 11-15 months then go on and get your RN in 2 years from that.
    Average starting salary for an LPN is mid $25k & for an RN mid $30k
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It all has everything to do with what you want to do -- no one can answer this question for you. You will do well nowhere without dedication and passion. Why is being a family law attorney out of the question now?
    Anonymous

• You really do need to narrow your focus.  Since your interests seem somewhat unrelated I think it would be wise to take an aptitude test.  You can also talk to people in the fields that interest you.  If you always wanted to be a family law attorney don't rule that field out completely; it is not out of reach. I understand your need to jump in and get it done quickly because I was once in your shoes; I decided to pursue an accounting degree, and now I am a CPA.

Anonymous

• event planners often need to be at the events...so that could be hard as a mom.
    I will either teach, to be on the same schedule as my kids or be a nurse...high need and flexible hours.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• No one can answer that question for you. You have to figure that out on your own. Go to the college and ask the counselor to do an apptitude test for you to see where you interests lie. You may also be able to get tested at the local Employment Office or PA office. Search online for careers that interest you, talk to people in the field you are interested in. Also, why do you think that you can't be an attorney? You have plenty of time to do so, if that is what you want.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I'd think that paralegal or Criminal Justice would be most employable, Court reporting- find out if there is a need for more court reporters in your area. Business management probably is pretty involved, although in the long run potentially a pretty wide field, only you could end up in a clerk position. Fashion and event planning, while interesting, I'm not sure how many opportunities there are, and you'd need to build up a clientele - for these you may want to apprentice to see what is involved.

Answer by Bmat at 7:57 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• what ad mckenzie saids its sord of true. do that go take some tests and find out what you can do from there. that you might be interested in.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2010