What do you think of community colleges?

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 5:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I think they are a fantastic way for kids to get the first two years of mandatory basic done while saving a LOT of money. For adults, they are a great way for working adults to continue their education.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think they are great. I've gone to two of them and learned more there than at major universities

Answer by admckenzie at 5:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Its a way to start getting your education....why do you ask?

The only bad thing about them is some of the credits will not transfer to a university. So that can make it hard but over all i dont see a problem with them.
    Anonymous

• More people in my city get hired with the degrees from the community/technical college than the 2 4 yr universities. I am currently attending that college and the work is hard, demanding and I get a very good education. I have also taken classes at a university and I can say that the education I am getting at the technical college is better than the university. It is more hands on and taught by people in the field I am studying in.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I have never heard of a regular community college that had non transferable credits. Usually non tranferable credits come from VOCA traing school and private institutions.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• They're awesome! I took my core classes at community college the 1st year and 1/2, then transferred to a State University. Community college was cheaper, I got more 1-on1 attention if I was having trouble, classes were smaller, classes were more flexible, and when I graduated from the 4 year State University, it was a four year degree that made no mention of the community college. Its the way to go if you don't have a lot of money and/or time.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I personally think everyone should get the experience to go away to school ....and most community colleges don't offer that so that's one downfall BUT I think they are great bc they save you a hell of a lot more money than other schools and most or if all of your credits should transfer to a 4 year college...therefore saving you at least 2 years of expensive schooling!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 5:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• 442anony is right - there has been a big rukus in nj about credits from 2year community colleges to 4year colleges. Electives classes might not transfer to 4year college.

General Electives classes have highest chance of being accepted as being equal to a similar course at a four year college.

Career Major classes are separate from Electives classes and they are also separate from General Electives classes.

Those Career Major classes also have the highest chance of being accepted to transfer to a 4year college from a 2year community college.

The best way to see about transfer of credits is to hv yr academic advisor fax to the department head of the new college to see if courses per department from a 2year are transferable to a 4year.

Community colleges hv many similar titled majors. Some are 'to transfer to 4year" Others r "immediately employable". Do the transfer major, ucan always sayu decided to work instead.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Two years are great too for kids to get the first two years of hormones out of their system - they're pretty much drug and alcohol free. Plus great for undecided kids to help save money. Hers is very safe, great profs and fantastic price. My daughter's at a two year. It's got tons of clubs some majors are totally on line distant learning, other majors can have some courses taken online. That saves gas money and parking frustrations. lol there!!! Hers has an alert system - we're alerted by phone when there's a problem of any kind -since that started it's only been snowdays.

Also there are technical degrees and technical certificates that can be earned as well as more academic degrees and certificates. Part timers are treated as well as full time students.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I agree with most of what has already been written. The only cautions I would add are sometimes you do have trouble with transferring credits and they are not a fix all for the undecided. If you are undecided you are more likely to take classes that will have no application to your final degree. (A family member had the same problem with High School Advanced Placement) There is such a thing as taking to many lower level electives.  The goal is not to get 120-135 credit to graduate.  The goal is to get the right 120-135 credits.  No employer is impressed with the fact that this family member has 150 credits and it took him 5 years to graduate.  Plan ahead.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jan. 14, 2010