Has anyone else here ever adopted within the family ...

without a lawyer and without state involvement?
Or, (to rephrase) did you represent yourself in a in family adoption?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 6:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Adoption

• My mom adopted my son without a lawyer. If there is no fight involved, and all partys are willing you don't need an attorney. It happens every day.
    Anonymous

• Nearly impossible to do. Get an attorney.
    Anonymous

• My attorney told me to do it myself! lol it's not impossible. My brother has no legal parents because our mother died. so all that termination of rights and everything does not apply.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. I have not adopted within the family but have a thought for you. If you adopt your brother he will get a new birth certificate stating that you are his mother instead of yours and his original mother. He will then legally be your mother's grandson. Are you sure that this is what you and he wants? Have you considered legal guardianship instead?
    Anonymous

• He is not actually my mothers child. He is my cousins child and my mom adopted him. Yes i am sure he wants me to adopt him. He is only five and my mom died 9 months ago but he already calls me mom. I never pressured him to do so, he actually asked if he could! He also insists on changing his name to our last name. ...not so sure i want to do that but a lot still has to be discussed.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Oh. And yes we have considered guardianship but we are a military family and it can be difficult to get permission from the state to move overseas (where my husband is stationed) due to the fact that the state has jurisdiction over the guardianship.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Um.. yeah. You're going to need a lawyer.

rainfalls

Answer by rainfalls at 12:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Why would i need a lawyer? All i need is proof of the adoption which i have, proof of the death, which i have and to serve my siblings just in case they want to protest. which they don't.
    My lawyer printed out the papers and told me what things need to be done and how to do it myself.

Also, i didn't ask if i needed a lawyer. I was only asking if anyone had done this before. I'll be starting the process this Tuesday.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Well it looks like you have a lawyer... and I have. My parents adopted my son.
    rainfalls

Answer by rainfalls at 10:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No. that's much different then what i am doing. You had to have your parental rights terminated and all that before your parents could adopt your child. My mom died. there are no parental rights. just a death certificate. ...My lawyer said that it's not usually recommended but because my case is pretty clear cut there shouldn't be a problem.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2010