Confused

"When Jesus died, His Spirit went into Hades, but into that compartment where Abraham was comforting those who had died in faith. As they were awaiting the fullness of time when God would fulfill the promise of sending the Messiah. For they all died in faith, but they could not ascend into heaven because it was impossible that the blood of bulls and goats could put away their sins. All they did was foreshadow the sacrifice of Jesus Christ whereby sins could be put away and man could have access on into heaven. So Jesus preached to those souls that were imprisoned, and on the third day when He arose again, He led the captives from their captivity. He opened the prison doors to those that were bound. He led them from their captivity, and the graves of many of the saints were opened, and they were seen walking in the streets of Jerusalem after His resurrection from the dead, Matthew 27."

I quoted Chuck Smith

CONTINUED...

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 6:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• As I understand it the dead were awakened when Jesus died and the temple's veil ripped. But were in hiding until Jesus came back to life and then hey exposed themselves. This was done t oshow that Jesus would fullfill his promise to come back and get us. To show that the rightouse dead would be ressurected and taken to heaven. But that's just how I read it.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 6:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• lost something there charlotsomtimes try again with more of a question
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• This was one answer (or part of one) that was given when I asked what people had been taught about Hell.

My question is about this:
    "He led them from their captivity, and the graves of many of the saints were opened, and they were seen walking in the streets of Jerusalem after His resurrection from the dead, Matthew 27."
    *

Does that mean he was not the only one who rose?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You have been confused about a lot of things lately. My advice to you, CM(especially the answers forum) is the worse place to understand anything. There is too much cat fighting and back biting to learn too much.

My advice is join one of the Christians groups, an online bible study or go to a bible study. I assume you believe in the bible if you are trying to make sense of it.
    Anonymous

• My advice is join one of the Christians groups, an online bible study or go to a bible study. I assume you believe in the bible if you are trying to make sense of it.

Yeah I should probably ask in religious roundtable- but here it is...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    -- Winston Churchill
    Anonymous

• He was not the only ones that rose.. correct but He was the only one that died on the cross as a sinless man and as the Son of FGod.

I agree with the previous poster. This is not always the best place to ask these questions because you will get answers from all kinds of people and many wrong answers. I too encourage you to find a bible study either in your church or online. We as Christians can only help you so much on here and some things require sitting down with bible in hand and walking you through some of the scriptures to help you make sense of what it does say.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Son of God I mean
    Shaneagle777

• thank you- I didn't know if I was reding it wrong or what...
    so others rose with him. Never heard that before
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Yes. Matthew 27:52 says that when Jesus resurrected other saints came out of their graves as well!!! But it wasn't the only crazy thing that happened. When Jesus was on the cross the sky turned black for the last 3 hours before He died. After He died there was a HUGE earthquake. And the veil in the temple that separated the Holy of Holies was torn in two (from the top to the bottom).

All of these AMAZING signs show that Jesus is the God of this world. That at this moment, His death was so significant that it would be marked by natural laws (that He established) in the sky, the earth, death. He is God of it all. These signs were so powerful that the soldier standing next to the cross proclaimed, "Truly this was the Son of God."

He is the Creator who made all of us to begin with. Through His death we have victory over the grave, and we can live as He intended -- forever!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2010